Chapter Seven- Point of Contention

It was the middle of the night when Gerel awoke her. His face was pained and tired.

"We need to move," he said, brushing hair out of his eyes. "A lot of people have already passed us by when they were fleeing the village. I have a small invisibility spell up, but we know how well that worked last time."

Aelwen looked down, noticing all of her cuts and wounds had been covered with goo and bandaged.

"Thank you," she whispered.

Gerel shrugged. "Yea, no problem. Anyway, we really need to move. We've got to get to where my people are camped. It shouldn't be too far away. We'll be safe once we're there. I obviously can't walk right now, so you'll have to carry me."

"Those people in the village..." Aelwen said, "We caused their village to be destroyed. Isn't there anything we can do?"

"They wanted you dead. They were about to kill you. If I hadn't destroyed that guy's staff, you'd be a rotting corpse," Gerel muttered.

"I know, but... Even with all the cruelties they did, they really didn't know it was me," Aelwen stammered. "They've gone through hell. Their families have died, their homes burned down, everything they had taken from them. It's understandable why they wanted revenge."

"They tried to sacrifice you to Cainen. That magician had you possessed by a demon of rage!" Gerel spat.

"He did!?" Aelwen was taken aback. Her memory of the whole ordeal after her mind had been dimmed was hazy.

"Yea. You were lucky I was able to get it out. Thankfully it was only a minor demon," Gerel said, securing his backpack to his back.

"What? How is that even possible? He is a follower of Cainen, not Auria. He cannot use her demonic creatures to possess others," Aelwen shook her head in wonder.

Gerel looked downward. His hands were shaking. "Aelwen..." he hesitated. "Have you ever wondered if maybe Cainen isn't who you think he is?"

"Never! He has lead my mother to many victories and kept our kingdom safe from harm-" She stopped. "Well, you know what I mean. He's very powerful, and is the reason humans can use magic. He created the world, for goodness' sake. What are you talking about, Gerel?"

Gerel talked slowly and softly. "Aelwen, have you ever communed with him?"

Aelwen blinked. "Well, no. Mother does--did--every day. But she said I wouldn't be ready until I was a bit older. He's too powerful for one as young as myself to connect with."

"Bullcrap." Gerel spit.

"Excuse me!?" Aelwen cried.

"You should never have to be a certain age to commune with a god," he said. "A god should be able to communicate with any creature of any age."

"Gerel, are you implying my mother was a heretic!?"

"I'm saying Cainen is not a god."

Aelwen froze. "You can't be serious."

"I am, that's why I'm helping you. You need to know the truth, and you need help figuring everything out." Gerel pursed his lips, holding out a trembling hand. A small lick of red flame burst to life directly over his outstretched palm. It was vibrant and beautiful, the soft light dancing across the two young one's faces. Gerel gave a ghost of a smile.

"How are you doing magic without a wand?" Aelwen said, staring at the fire in wonder.

"Humans were never meant to rely on their own channeled energy to use magic. Wands are just ways to limit us and suck away our life force." Gerel flicked his fingers, the fire disappearing and a ball of ice replacing it.