Chapter Eight- Ceruby City

Chapter Eight: Ceruby City

A giant dome made of twisting vines covered every inch of the perimeter of Ceruby City. They were lined with wicked thorns and laid thick with hard ice. Aelwen examined the ice, which was giving off a soft mist. She moved a paw close to it, but pulled back immediately when she felt the blistering cold of the mist brush her scales.

Hundreds of dragons flew directly over the top of the dome. As one, in repeating patterns, they blew swaths of fire at the dome. The frost dissipated the fire immediately. Some dragons who had touched the surface were stuck to it, ice creeping up their struggling bodies. Suddenly, writhing vines shot up from their twisted formation, straight for the closest attacking beasts. Most were able to fly out of the way, but two unfortunate ones roared in alarm as the thorny tendrils wrapped around their legs, dragging them downward and slamming them on the surface of the dome. To Aelwen's astonishment, the two red dragons seemed to melt into the dome, the vines dragging them down into the city. As soon as their heads were covered by the vines, their roars ceased.

The dragons flew higher, continuing their attack with renewed caution. The giant yellow dragon was commanding them, barking orders and pelting the dome with explosive blasts the colors of sunset.

Aelwen backed far away from the side of the dome, eyeing the vibrating vines warily.

"Oh, darn! Looks like we aren't getting in! Better head back and leave this wonderful place!" Gerel said with a voice dripping in sarcasm.

Aelwen's ears lay flat against her head. "Actually, we can get in. We'll just let the vines grab us."

Gerel gave a large groan, kicking his good leg against her side. "Come on! Are you serious? Who knows what happens to them as soon as they're dragged in there! They're probably slaughtered as soon as they are seen!"

Aelwen put a claw to her chin. "They are dragging them in in small numbers... Which allows them to be killed one or two at a time, making them much easier to fend off. That's incredible." She gazed at the ice–covered plants. "I can't imagine how much energy it took to grow something like this. Cerubia must have hundreds of sorcerers working non-stop inside there."

"A hundred sorcerers who will kill us on sight once we get in!" Gerel said, tapping Aelwen's shoulder. "Please, just let me take you to-"

Aelwen glared at Gerel, looking him over. "You," she said.

"What?" Gerel responded, confused.

"You will make sure we're not hurt once we get inside. If they see a human with me, they might have second guesses. Not to mention, you can use magic to shield us from harm while I explain the situation. Besides, there's no indication they kill the dragons immediately once they are pulled inside. I'm sure we'll be fine if we act with tact and intelligence. My mother said to come here, she knew I would be safe."

"This is not acting with intelligence! Remember how I said Cerubia would kill me as soon as she saw me!? Well, guess what, I'm kinda serious about that!" Gerel rolled off Aelwen's back, crawling his way toward the forest. "I ain't risking my life like this! No way!"

Aelwen simply watched as he inched across the grass. About a minute passed before Gerel collapsed to the ground.

"...Damnit," was all he said.

Aelwen picked him up with her teeth, prancing toward the icy dome.

Gerel obviously doesn't trust my mother, and I suppose I can see why... but this will prove to him that my mother's wisdom is to be heeded. I am sure this plan will work.