Chapter Twenty-Deathsong's Pride

((This chapter is not yet fully edited and may be changed later!))

The next day began with a rather rude awakening. Kera burst into the tent without any warning, giving Aelwen a light kick on the back.

"Rise and shine, princess. Time for your first lesson in fighting the forces of hell." Kera smirked.

Aelwen groaned, groggily getting to her feet. "Let me just brush my hair..."

Kera snatched her wrist and dragged her out. "Nope. It's gonna get messed up anyway. Come on."

Aelwen stumbled to her feet and followed along so her dress wouldn't get covered in dirt. Dawn was about to rise, the dark sky lightening in preparation for the sun's rebirth. Hardly anyone was out at that time. The two wove between quiet tents.

"H-hey, do we really have to do this so early...?" Aelwen had stayed up much too late last night after flying back home in silence with Gerel.

"Pff. Don't be a damn wimp. We've got a week to get you ready to fight. I ain't taking such a job lightly, and neither should you. Now tell me, have you got any fighting experience at all?"

"I used to take extensive lessons in archery and fencing. I'm sure that will help." Aelwen yawned as she tried to close her heavy eyelids.

"Weapons of a true coward. Archers aim from afar like chickens, and fencers expect their enemies to just drop what they're doing and duel them as if war is just some prissy cockfight to be bet on. When you are under me, you'll be learning how to really fight, the heat of your blood boiling in your veins as you drink in the gore-filled tears of your lessers!"

Aelwen raised an eyebrow. "Whatever you say, Kera..."

Kera whipped her head around, her pointing finger centimeters away from Aelwen's face.

"My name is Deathsong, remember? ONLY CALL ME DEATHSONG, OK!?"

Aelwen hurriedly nodded. What in the world is her problem!? She thought. At least she felt much more awake now.

"Kera!" A voice called from behind the angry woman.

She turned slowly, a grin spreading across her face. "Hey, Shev!"

Aelwen rolled her eyes.

The curly-haired man set a clawed hand on Kera's shoulder. "Taking Aelwen to her first day of training, huh?"

"Yea. See ya in a few hours." Kera flipped one of her braids behind her back before slamming her face into his for a quick kiss.

Once they were done, Shev handed Aelwen a buttered bagel and walked away with a wave, his fluffy tail wagging behind him.

"What kind of creature is he?" Aelwen asked as she gobbled up her breakfast. "He doesn't look like a Shifter."

"Werewolf. The sexiest one I've ever met, his handsomeness only one of the many reasons I married him." Kera licked her lips and continued to lead Aelwen through the encampment. They came upon a fenced off area near a house-tent. A large wooden shed stood proudly near the entrance.

"A werewolf?" Aelwen thought back to the tales some of the castle witches had used to speak of. Men and women who greatly disobeyed them were cursed with lycanthropy and forced to work as servants to the witches' wills. "He was cursed?"

Kera gave a sigh through her nose, which amusingly jiggled the ring pierced there. "Mmhm. By the witch who lorded over his town. He doesn't feel comfortable with me telling the story, so I won't. If you want to hear it, ask him later." Kera opened the gate, ushering Aelwen in.