Chapter 1: Save Nancy

Grabbing an apple out of the bowl in the kitchen could have ended badly. Moving quickly, quietly and uncaught. Down the hallway, turn left... there was my small bedroom.

I rushed in and closed the door behind me just in time. I heard loud, menacing footsteps walking at a slow steady pace down the hallway. I checked the time on my watch. 2:30am, It was time.

      I hid the red apple under my pillow clenching my jaw. So badly I wanted to take a big bite out of it. The footsteps moved slowly each door opening. I listened hearing only the clicking of doors and the continuing sound of heels clicking against the creaky wooden floor boards.

My room was next. I lay in my bed wrapped in sheets staying completly still, attempting to even out my breathing. To think this would get easier after three years...
My door opened as she walked in. Whatever her name was, we werent supposed to know.

    I felt her presence hover over me for a few seconds that felt like eternity and her footsteps proceeded out and down the hall. I fought back a sight of relief. It all seemed fine until two rooms down i began to hear voices.

It was the lady who had come in my room and another girl i'd recognized from her voice. It was little nancy, she was only nine years old, the youngest. "Nancy..." The lady said dragging the Y in her name.

"What have you got there at two in the morning?" I heard no reply. " Nancy." Her voice grew stern. The little girl replied quickly i strained in my bed to hear.

"I wasnt tired, I wanted to play." She said softly. Afraid. The woman scoffed. "You wanted to play? Give me this filthy thing its been distracting you lately." I was guessing it was nacy's doll. She always had it. One eye missing, one shoe missing.

"Please dont take her!" I heard the girl plead. The lady laughed followed by a loud smack and many ore after that. The sound of crying filled the hallway and i winced at the sound. The lady left nancy's room and proceeded back down the hallway upstairs to her own, forgetting to check the rooms of the others.

Both my parents died when thier plane on a trip to florida had exploded in a bomb. I was thirteen when it happened and now at sixteen, I still never knew why or how.

I was left in the hands of an orphanige run by a man and a woman. We where never told thier names. The lady was tall and her hair was always slicked back into a perfect bun. She looked around 4o years old. The man was chubby with thick eyebrows and eyes that looked almost black.

They ruined my life even more than it already was. Mine, and the other twenty girls here all ranging from 9 to 17 years old. We had no other choice. No parents wanted us at this age, and to keep us off the streets they sent us here.

We had to male our own food, never leave the house unless we stood in the front yard litteraly handcuffed to the fence. We were also home schooled with a laptop in each room. It was a mansion, but it sadly had no resemblance of one.

It was old and ruined with squaky floors and broken mirrors. Rats craweld throughout the house and we only had eachother and our laptops to rely on entertainment. The adults kept guns in thier room, I've seen it.

Ive wanted to escape but the room was locked with a strong metal door. No one could escape. Even the windows were unbreakable and tiny.

If anyone tried to escape and failed, thats an instant death sentance. Vienna was the first ive seen to go. The tried breaking the kitchen window which was big enough to go through but it wouldnt break.

She tried and tried ignoring our pleading for her to stop and The lady found her mid throw. She was shot in the knee arm and left for a day outside handcuffed to the fence bleading to death.

She was then put in a box and no one knows where they put her after that.
My name is venus, and my goal is to survive.