Chapter 1

Was I dead? I couldn't tell. I really hoped I was, otherwise I'd have to face the pain of a failed mission. I'd never failed a mission at this rank before, but that was before this one. Before I unlocked my emotions. Why did I unlock them again?

....

Ah yes, it was that silver haired shinbi in the ANBU uniform. When he was left alone he was quite funny. Oh and what a face he had! So handsome... So handsome. Yet, some how he figured me out and tried to kill me in return.

"Oi wake up!" I felt a sharp pain on my face and I sat up, eyes wide and hands ready to attack. Well, so much for being dead. I looked around to see the head of my clan and his cronies sitting in my room. Oh... I was back in my room. I inclined my head to the clan leader and I could feel his wrath in his gaze.

"Why did you fail the mission?"

"He was a better ninja." Slap to the face.

"How come?"

"He read me faster than I him." Punch to the gut.

"Why was he faster?"

"He sees more." Kick to the shoulder.

On and on it went. I showed no pain, already used to being treated like this. He would ask a question, and I would anser. If any answer suggested weakness or failure, I was punished. Those answers were all I could give.

"You will not fail next time," he said as they left. I could feel blood flowing from my wounds and bruises were forming. I picked myself up, wincing slightly, and stumbled to my private bathroom. I looked in the mirror and saw a familiar sight. My ribbon had fallen from my hair, which was sticking to my face. I started washing the blood from my lily white hair, but decided against it. My orange and yellow eyes were dull and uninterested in the world.

Your eyes move like flames when you show emotions, my mother's voice sounded in my head. My chest tightened and I saw the colors move like fire as tears silently rolled down my face.

"I miss you so much," I whispered. I heard her again.

Grow strong, Yuri. Then flee. Flee to the White Fang.