Chapter 8

YURI/KURAI POV Time skip to the next year a week before her birthday

As my birthday drew nearer, I became increasingly uneasy. The last year had been amazing. It turned out my new place was actually for not only me, but Kakashi as well, and Hokage-sama had told me flat out that I was not going to be a kunoichi, unless of an emergency situation. The last few months had been stressful on Kakashi, however, with having to watch Hokage-sama's wife, but it bothered me none. We often went out shopping together, and I was excited to meet her little bundle of joy. That was another reason for my unease. Today I needed to speak with the Hokage. I needed to leave, for everyone's safety, and he needed to know why. My hair pulled into a loose bun and new sun dress on, I walked to his office, enjoying the sunshine. I was much happier here, and hoped I could return after whatever happened happened. I was greeted with smiles left and right, as these people had no idea what my past was and only knew me for me. I smiled back as my feet continued on. I paused outside the doorway, the growing knot in my stomach suddenly turning into queasiness. I clenched my jaw, reminding myself of what I was capable of, and managed to climb the stairs. There were two ANBU as usual, but they only nodded in greeting before knocking on the door for me. I was allowed in, and the Hokage looked up at me in surprise as I bowed.

"Yuri-san, what seems to be the matter." I twisted my hands together as I tried to find the words.

"You remember that large scroll I gave you last year right?" He nodded. "Well, something came up, and I think you need to read the rest of it immediately in order for this to make more sense." He frowned, but pulled out the scroll, to which I released the last seal. He quickly opened it and began reading, and as his eyes widened, the pit grew inside me. He sighed and laid it down when he was done.

"Ok, so what do you need to tell me?"

"My birthday is next week, and I need to leave the village for a while. She will possess me and use me to do unspeakable damage. I do not want to be anywhere near here for that." He sighed and nodded.

"I am assuming you do not want Kakashi to know the details of why you are leaving?" I nodded. "Then I think it's best that I file your leave as an emergency mission of utmost secrecy. Then no one can question either of us, and you may return to the village any time without question." I nodded and bowed.

"Thank you, Hokage-sama." He grunted a response and I turned and left. I knew my announcement could've only added to his mountain of stress, but at least by tomorrow he wouldn't have to worry about it. I quickly returned home and packed a small bag for myself with only disposable items in it. I had no clue what would happen, but I was sure that the pack would be lost along the way.

~~~~

"What is this?" Kakashi asked as he placed a scroll on the table in front of me. He had just come home while I was eating, not expecting him for another hour or so. I shrugged, my signal asking for more details. "Why are you going on a mission?"

"It's just a simple D-rank. I'm just going to study certain herbs for the hospital." He sighed.

"But why you? There are plenty of shinobi with nothing to do." I looked up in surprise at his tone. Why was he suddenly being defensive? Maybe it was the stress of watching Kushina all day.

"I'll be fine. I'm not defenceless. I'll be gone for a couple years if everything goes well." His face was angry and irritated as he met my gaze.

"And if things go wrong?!" I was taken aback at his volume. He had never raised his voice at me. It started to irritate me, so I stood and grabbed the scroll from him.

"It's just herbs, Kakashi. About the only thing that can go wrong is weather, and I'm sure there's a village nearby that I can stay at. Stop worrying about it." He sighed and rubbed his face.