The Reality of High School

Franklin Roosevelt Public School was a prestigious school. It was among the top ten in the country. It was located in Spokane, Washington, and was 12 years old.

On the outside it looked like it had it all together, on the inside, at least on the adminstrative level it was fine as well, but down where it really mattered, where the wheels of the school turned, on the student level, all was not well. It was high school though, no one really expected it to go good.

Brad sat alone on the school steps waiting for his girlfriend to arrive. They had been going out for 2 months and his world revolved around her, well maybe not his entire world, but close.

He felt rain start to fall so he walked up under the entrance of the school. He looked at his watch, she was past due, and he began to worry. A smile came to his face when he saw hie best friend come up the school stairs to him

"Hey man how are you?" Eric asked Brad

"Not to bad, you?"

"Pretty darn good."

Eric stood three inches higher than Brad, but wasnt as suave. Brad was half the authority figure for his friends, the other half was a girl by the name of Emma. The group of friend the two mediated was separate but together at the same time.

Eric was the authority figure to two of his friends Charlie and Robert. Who were also part of there main group of friends but separte as well.

"Where's Maria?"

"I don't know, she's not here yet."

Eric gave a mocking sigh and said,

"What ever shall we do?"

"Shutup man."

"Ok, but i am going to keep you company."

"I don't know you know how much she hates you."

"Ah she can get over it."

The two stood together waiting for either Maria or the bell whichever came first. Eric sttod for 5 minutes and finally said.

"Well i'm bored see ya."

Brad smiled and nodded at Eric as he left.

Eric walked into the school and looked around, this was his home away from home, he disliked being away from the school even for the weekend, because it meant being away from his friends. He chuckled to himself, who in the world would miss school.

He saw Charlie walking toward his locker and ran to catch up with him.

"Hey Charlie."

"Hi."

"Look whos mad at the world tod-"

Somthing caught Eric's eye on the hall across from him. It was Maria, but she was kissing another guy. She was cheating on Brad. Eric knew who the guy was. He was very popular around the school, and Eric frequently got comments on knowing him. It was Joel, his older brother.

He stormed toward them.

"YOU!" he screamed at Joel

"What!"

"You're going out with Brad's girlfriend. Why?"

"You're cheating on me!?" Joel yelled at Maria.

"No! He just dosn't want us together."

"He is my brother and i trust him more than you right now."

"Brad will be furious and heart broken how could you?!"

"Easy, i just ask you brother out and he said yes, i've been doing it for a month."

Eric looked at Joel with a stare that could have burned through him.

"We're through Maria!"

"Fine, you'll call me."

They watched Maria walk away, and then looked at each other.

"Brad's gonna die."

"Who you gonna get to tell hm?"

"I will."