Minute of Decay

Romans 12:9 "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good."

I woke up to the bright light coming in from my window. It's morning. I woke up, made myself some breakfast. I still can't believe what happened last night. I kissed Marilyn Manson. THE Marilyn Manson. This sounds like something out of a fan fiction. As I think of last night a needing feeling grows in my stomach. It feels quite awkward. I decide to get ready for the day in the hopes that the feeling will subside.

As I was brushing my teeth, I heard a faint knock on the bathroom door
"Lily? When you're done can you come down and talk to your father and I?" My mother said from outside the door.

I finished washing up and went downstairs to the dining room to find my mother and father, looking quite angry. In front of them were my band tees and my secret stash of rock CDs.

"I found these," my mother said.

"I can explain," I said as she gives me a look signalling to continue. "Everyone wears these shirts now a days and they don't listen to the band."

"Then why do you have these CDs?" My father said.

"I listen to them."

"I can't believe you are listening to this filth!" My father yelled at me. "First we catch you smoking marijuana, now THIS?These are some of the most ungodly things you could listen to. You need to clean up your act young lady!"

"You know Lily," my mother said tears in her eyes. "You're just like your brother." My father picked up my things and went over to the garbage can.

"DAD DON'T" I said as I start to cry.
"YOU CAN'T DO THAT!"

"It's for your own good, sweetie." My mother says holding me back.

"LAST. WARNING." My father says sternly as he wags a finger in my face.

I run up to my room. I can't believe what just happened. I am scared and distraught. I text the only person who would understand, my brother.

Me: Adam, can I talk to you?

Adam: Sure what's up?

Me: They found my CDs and it didn't end well.

Adam: Do you want to get coffee and talk about it?

Me: Sure.

Adam: Alright I'll pick you up in ten.

I quickly continued to get ready and some clothes on. I sneak out the window and Adam was waiting there for me in his car. 

"Hey."  Adam said and shone me a small, sympathetic looking smile.

"Hi." I said as I sat down in the passenger's seat. We drove to the nearest Starbucks in silence. We sat down at the table, awkwardly sipping from our coffees. Adam could see I was visibly upset and spoke up. 

"How are you?" He said in a concerned manor. My emotions took over and I burst out into tears. Adam brought me into a close embrace. 

"It's ok." He whispered into my ear, shushing me lovingly. "I know. I was there once too" 

"I know." I said, sniffling. "I feel so guilty,"

"No. Don't feel guilty" He said, rubbing my back. 

"Why not? I broke the rules." I said, sniffling.

"Because they've been manipulating you, Lil."

"I know...I didn't think they'd find it."

"They look through everything and I mean everything. Every drawer, every nook and cranny in your room, even places you never knew existed, they've searched through."

"That's so creepy." 

"I know. When I was your age, I was doing the same thing. I had all my CDs stashed in a box under my bed." He said exasperating and taking a swig of his now lukewarm coffee. "Eventually they searched my room and they found it. When I came home from school, I walked into the kitchen and they were sitting at the table, and there was the box."

"Oh God."

"I know. It was as if they found my secret stash of porn, which is another story..." 

"I don't want to know." I interrupted. 

"Yeah, no you don't"

"So what did you do?" 

"Well, after that I tried to stay under the radar. I would kiss their asses every chance I got, I went to their stupid church things, and they completely fell for it. They started trusting me a bit more. After that it was smooth sailing."

"Really?"

"Well not really. But you, you have a leg up on little 16 year old Adam."

"What is that?"

"Well... you have a cool older brother with a place to stay."

"Really?"

"Really. For now, try to stay under the radar. If they kick you out, or things get too unbearable at home, you can come stay with me."

"Thank you Adam." I said, getting up from my seat to give him a hug. He wrapped his arms around me and led me into a tight hug.

"If you ever need anything, I'm just a phone call away. Okay?"

"Okay." I said with tears in my eyes. Eventually our meeting came to an end. I left with more comfort knowing I have somewhere to lay my head if things get too tough.

Author's note: Sorry, it's been quite a while. I hope to release new chapters when I get the time to. Much love x.