Chapter 8

He turns into a gated community and continues up the street decorated with large modern styled houses. He pulls up at a particularly large house.

It's bigger than most of the houses we've passed. He pushes a button and the shutter rises.

He parks his car and I follow him up the steps to the front door. We are greeted by a gorgeous blonde woman. "Hello, you must be Hayley." Her smile is warm, as she extends her hand to for me to shake. "I'm Angel, Harry's mother..."

"Step!" Harry interjects and walks pass her into the house.

She seems a little hurt but explains that she's married to his father. I could have guessed she wasn't his birth mother, as she looks way too young to have an eighteen year old.

"Come in." She says and I oblige.

Inside is beautifully decorated with crystal clear windows. She offers me a drink but I politely decline. Angel takes me upstairs to Harry's room and I thank her.

I knock on the black door, covered in 'Keep Out' and 'Warning' signs and he opens it and I enter.

His room is surprisingly well kept, with a large bookshelf sitting in the back filled with science related books.

"You've read these?" I ask, my fingers trailing over his collection of SciFi.

"No, they're just there to gather dust. " He says, his voice filled with sarcasm and I roll my eyes.

He reads? That's a shocker.

He pulls the design of our brain from his bag and we get to work. We both try to avoid speaking to each other, only asking to pass tools or turn the page.

When I'm certain we've done enough, I finally speak up. "Angel seems nice."

He rolls his eyes and mutters something like 'she is'.

"So, how long has she been married to your dad?" I ask, feeling unusually confident. I don't expect him to answer me, well politely at least.

"What's it to you?" He snaps and I stand.

"Why must you always be so mean to me Harry?" I ask softly. I've never done anything to deserve this kind of treatment from him.

"Why must you always be so annoying?" He yells and I flinch.

"Annoying?" I scoff. "Well I'm sorry for trying to get along with you. You know, since I'm freaking stuck with you for the entire year!" I practically scream.

He seems to understand my point as his eyes soften.

I check the time on my phone and decide its time to leave. I grab my bag and start throw my things in, while he stands watching my every move.

"I'm taking you home." He says, as soon as I turn the door knob.

"No. No you're not. I'm not going anywhere with you."

Heavy foot steps follow behind me as I rush downstairs. I try to remember the way out.

"Wait." Harry grips my arm gently and an overwhelming rush floods my insides.

It feels as if a fire ignited somewhere in the pits of my stomach and my skin has been set a blaze. Its the same feeling like the first time he held me, only this time stronger, way stronger. "Let me take you home...please?" He begs.

I turn to face him and he releases his grip on me. I stare at him confusedly. He just called me annoying and now he's begging me to let him take me home? Its too late to take the bus now, especially since I'll be alone, so I might as well accept his offer. "Okay." I simply state.

We're about to leave, when Angel calls out. "It was nice meeting you, Hayley!" I turn to see her upstairs in a silky, gold robe. Her hair is stringy, suggesting she just came out of the shower. Hopefully she didn't hear me screaming at her stepson on my first visit.

I smile. "It was nice meeting you too Angel! Goodbye!"

"Safe travel!"

A sturdy man with brown hair like Harry's, steps out of a silver sports car. He spots Harry and I and I notice his grip on his briefcase tighten. He's dressed in a suit and tie and is rather good looking.    He stares at Harry for a second before looking away. I know he sees me, but he doesn't say anything, he just continues by.

As soon as I am settled in his car, I ask, "Was that your father?" He looks over at me, and I prepare myself for whatever hurtful thing he's about to say. 

"Yeah." He says, surprising me.

"Oh." I say.

There are many questions I want to ask him, like why his father walked past us without so much as to smile, but decide against it. Its 10:17 pm and I'm tired I'm not ready for round two with him.

"Where do you live?" He asks.

"Mulberry." I feel my eyes shutting but I ball my fists tight enough so my nails dig into my palms, the pain will keep me awake.

The traffic isn't as heavy as I expected it to be and in a short time Harry is turning onto my street.

"Second house on your right." I tell him.

An unfamiliar car is parked at my gate, and a lady wearing fishnet stockings climbs out.

"Who's that?" Harry gapes, I look over at him, he's practically drooling.

"My mother." I mutter, utterly confused. I watch as my mother bends over to speak to the driver. I know she's well aware of the amount of cleavage on display.

Realization hits him and he puts his tongue back in his mouth.

He pulls up behind the car and I thank him quickly, grab my bag and get out of his car.

"Oh hi, Hales!" She calls as I walk past her.

I don't reply, instead I run upstairs to my room, slamming the door behind me.