Chapter 2 // Beach, burgers and freaks

I woke up to the sun lightning up the entire room. It was already hot and I immediately started to long after the clear blue sea. But first, breakfast.

I toe tipped out of my room trying not to wake Lacey up, who was still asleep and probably hungover as hell. I went down to the kitchen to fix some bacon and eggs for us, when I saw dad making pancakes.

"Wow, I'm impressed. Last time you did pancakes or any meal at all was before.. You know." I said, hesitating to say her name.

"Before your mom left, yes. But don't say you haven't missed this smell." He said while trying to act like the thought of mom never entered his mind.

"Yeah, it's the best." I said and grabbed two plates and a couple of pancakes. Before going back upstairs I put some strawberries and blueberries on them as well, to make them more presentable. Now I could literally hear my stomach rumble.

"Lacey, wake up!" I said while grabbing and shaking her. Trust me, that was the only way to wake someone who was hungover.

"Ehhhr.." Was the only thing that came out of her mouth.

"Come on, I made pancakes!" I said very enthusiastic. "Alright, I'm up. But my head won't stop spinning, damn it!"

I laughed at her, like I usually did. She looked so miserable.

"So, Matt was very sweet last night." I said while chewing on the first pancake. "He was? She said, and then continued, "chocking." You could almost touch the irony with your fingers.

"You like him! You can't play with his feelings like that. Why are you?"

"I don't know.. I mean, I smile when I see him and... Maybe I'm scared? Scared to be in a relationship and to be committed to someone like that. That just isn't me, you know?" You could really tell that she had given this a lot of thought.

"Yeah.. But you really like this guy, right? And you've never been in a serious relationship, maybe you fit just right in you just don't know it yet?"

"Maybe you're right.. I'm just terrified. What would people think of me? Everybody knows me as the girl who has slept with more than half the boys in the entire school." She said while laughing a little bit.

"But who cares? I really think you'd be the perfect girlfriend." I hugged her.

"Thanks, Pen. And not just for this, for everything. And thank your father, without you guys I'd seriously be long gone by now, probably at some church camp or something." We laughed, because that was so true. Her parents would force her to go to pray for forgiveness or something like that.

Lacey had to get home after breakfast, so I called Cole. He didn't answer, so I called again because I was stubborn. He picked up after the third "beep".

"What's the emergency, Pen?" He said sarcastically.

"Funny. But hey, move your lazy butt down here so we can walk together to the beach. I heard the waves are pretty good today." I said while walking towards my wardrobe to pick out some clothes. If Cole wanted to join me, he would be outside my door in sooner than five minutes, because he lived just two houses away from here. "Sure, meet you in five." He said and hung up.

I grabbed my surfboard and my towel and went downstairs. I was wearing my favorite bikini and over it I just threw on an oversized sweater which probably was my dad's, but it was really comfortable and I wore it all the time.

I opened the door and there he stood, smiling like a child on Christmas Eve.

"Ready to hit the waves, my dear?" Cole said and blinked at me.