Chapter 1.2 The Onkai Soldiers

Kota found himself smiling, almost forgetting the danger he was still very possibly in. Even though he had grown used to it, his life was still very lonely, and it was a thrill to speak to a human, especially one that seemed so intelligent and worldly. Kota had long been fascinated with human culture, with their concepts of reading and writing words on paper, with their legendary great cities, the enormous structures they were said to erect, and all the magnificent things they built out of wood and metal. "Why you out here alone?" he asked Cassian.

Cassian's face became more serious. "Actually I was searching for one of your kind. I understand your people are the finest trackers in the world." He frowned. "I was hoping for someone a bit older." Cassian gazed around in the darkness. "Do you happen to know if any of the hunters from other tribes you mentioned are out tonight?"

"I no think so. They only hunt in day. All shamalak in tribes back safe in villages." Kota took a nervous breath. "Maybe I help you."

"The help I need is quite dangerous," Cassian said. "I am hunting a man."

"Hunting?" Kota swallowed. "You going to kill him?"

Cassian hesitated before answering in a somber voice: "Perhaps."

"Why you hunt him?"

"He has done... unspeakable things. He will do far worse if he is not stopped." He took a sharp breath as if breaking from a troubling thought and then looked at Kota. "Can you track a man by scent if his trail is a few days old?"

Kota frowned. "Sometimes. It depends."

Cassian blinked at him, seeming hesitant. "If you agree to help me, I would not ask you to do any fighting. I only wish you to help my comrades and I find this man. We shall take care of the rest."

"What is comrades?"

"The others I am working with."

"Other humans?" Kota's heart quickened. He might trust one human, but a group was far more dangerous.

"You would come as my guest and will be treated with respect. I give you my word." Again the intense honesty appeared in the boy's eyes. "I will pay you for your trouble. Feel free to name your price. I expect the task to take a few days."

Kota blinked. He had heard of the human concept of money but his people had no use for such things. He had everything he needed. His spirit walk had taught him that more than anything else. "No price," he said. "If you go to stop human from doing bad things, I help you because it right, and also for friendship."

Cassian peered at Kota for a long moment, and from his expression Kota felt that he had said something terribly foolish. Then Cassian said slowly, "All right, for friendship then. I thank you for your help." He drew in a slow breath and then mounted his horse. "Do you mind leaving now?"

"No," Kota said. He had nothing of importance to do.

Cassian nodded. "First we need to get back to my camp. Do you wish to ride with me, or go on foot?"

"Nakawa no ride animals," said Kota.

"As you wish," said Cassian. "Come."

Wasting no further time with words he turned his horse and set it to a brisk trot. Kota, finding himself compelled to follow, dashed forward, his strong legs propelling him quickly over the dark, uneven ground. He was glad to be moving. It had grown cold up in the trees. The animal skin pants and vest he wore provided poor protection against the dampness of night leaves. Running was an excellent cure for his woes. Kota was known for his stamina among the boys of his tribe. He could run enormous distances with superlative speed in silent, liquid motion, never breaking, never slowing. In only a few moments his blood was flowing hot in his veins.