Chapter 3.2 - The Demon and the Boy

"He should not be able to hide such simple minded things as ogres from me, but then gods know what powers Daibok granted him," Cassian said. He looked at Kota. "I want you to follow the scent into the city, but be ready to run when I tell you. And if I do, run to the horses, take one, and go back to the forest. Do not look back. Is that clear?"

"Yes," Kota said.

"One other thing." Cassian reached behind his back under his cape and drew the strangest blade Kota had ever seen. It was not made of metal, but rather a strange bluish crystal. The blade was a little longer than a dagger but not quite so long as a sword. Cassian held the weapon out to Kota, handle first, and Kota noted that the handle seemed to be carved bone, though the bone of what he could not say. "Take this, Kota, and be extremely careful with it. It will cut into more or less anything." Kota nervously reached out and took the weapon. It seemed to hum just a little in his hand when he touched it. Cassian undid the fastenings of his belt and then slid off a beautifully carved bone sheath that matched the handle. "Tuck this into your pants."

"T-this too great a weapon for me," Kota said, holding a hand up in protest.

"I do not have time to argue with you," Cassian said, frowning. "Take it. Use it only if you need to." He spoke with such authority in his voice that Kota could only nod and obey.

Cassian turned back to the men. "If the old texts are to be believed, elven cities are constructed with great underground vaults. There could be hiding places anywhere."

Darius shouted: "When we get to the bottom form double rank, with Cassian, Kota, and myself at the center." The men nodded and Kota led them down the stairway. As soon as they were on the floor of the city the soldiers obeyed their command.

Kota continued to track. The city floor beneath his feet was made of large, smooth slabs of cream-colored stone. Plants had grown up between the squares and through small cracks everywhere, but even with that Kota had the feeling that he was not in the wild. The enormous structures with all of their sharp, precise angles and the lovely engravings in the stone everywhere of symbols he did not understand filled him with a sense endless awe. Were he not in such danger he would have stood and gaped for hours or even days at the incredible city.

The further he went, the stronger the scents grew, and the trails began to separate and cross one another. The city was enormous, which made Kota wonder about the thousands upon thousands of smooth flat stones that had been carved to make its streets. How many hundreds of years had it taken to create this wonderful hidden place? How terrible then was its destruction? He felt some inner part of himself sicken as he ventured on.

"Many ogre stand right here," Kota finally said, gesturing around a large open square between the buildings. "I think not too long ago."

Cassian took in a very sharp breath suddenly and Kota turned to see his friend's eyes close. He stood perfectly still for a few seconds, and then whispered: "Kota, it is time for you to go. Run! Now!"

Kota cast a quick look around but he neither saw nor heard anything. Still, he had learned enough of Cassian to obey and he shot instantly into a hard run back the way he had come. Behind him he heard Darius say in a sharp voice: "Weapons out."

Kota was fifty paces or so away when he caught Cassian's voice in the distance saying: "We are surrounded." Kota froze. His warrior's heart began to thunder in his chest. He turned slowly and looked back at his friends, and as he did he heard movement in many corners of the city – movement from very large creatures.

It was not right to leave them. In that incredibly brief moment Kota understood something of himself he had never known, and he knew he had to stay near because these brave and noble men were going into battle, and a moment might come where he could help them. That was worth risking his life.