Chapter 20 Part II: A Decision Made

[REDACTED]

"What about the church?" Telemachus said softly as he fiddled with his mutton. Already he seemed defeated.

"As you said, my generation handed the Nemesai far too much power.  We felt we had no choice at the time, given how effective they were at sniffing out Daibok's agents, but that time is long over."  He shrugged.  "A quite simple fact about human beings is that we do not like to live in fear.  Denigoth is far more ready to be rid of its moral police than you seem to guess."

"I cannot convince you then," Telemachus said, raising his eyes to meet Somar's.  It was not a question.

"No," Somar said plainly.  "I will do everything I can to help Cassian reach the throne."  His heart swelled as he spoke the words.  He had needed to have this conversation.  Promethiock's warning had lingered long in his thoughts.  The boy might destroy the world.  There could be no more terrible threat, and yet Somar found he had the audacity to dare believe in Cassian in the face of it.  Someday, if the dragon's words were true, he would hold Cassian's life in his hands, and he could make a choice then.  Until that moment came though he could work to shape the boy into a great man.  He could think of no greater goal for which to dedicate the rest of his life.

Telemachus forced a smile across his handsome features and said: "I suppose that is that."  His smile grew then and became once again relaxed, as if he were letting go of the matter.  "Before you go, please, would you tell me what it was like to stand before Promethiock?"

Somar laughed.  "I should love to."

***PLEASE VOTE!!!***