Hidden Children Make No Noise

We scatter,
I run left.
She runs,
Right.
We are out of our quarry zone and away from Boston, not very far, but far enough.
A supply run, we get goods, smuggle them and bring them in the quarry sometimes we sell little trinkets but we mostly keep food or anything for us. Some kids ask for drugs, but nope leave that up for Jacob not us.
I start to walk quietly inside a mini mart, I scan the room with 20/20 vision, nothing,
nothing is good.
I unzip my backpack and look for anything useful or entertaining.
Empty cans, what the fuck! Why do people leave just the cans? If you ate whatever is inside its not funny to put it empty back on the shelf.
In a light rage, I look around frantically because Ri and I have to get enough supplies
for the both of us or more in 20 minutes flat.
Medicines. Bingo!
I rake them into my pack and take a couple of cans with food in them.
I run out of the building, I see Riley, she darts to me and tells me to hurry up, we have 6 minutes till the quarry closes.
When the quarry closes down, it's dangerous, constant men and women soldiers are on patrol, they aren't fooling either.
We run fast and slip into the quarry zone without it closing and us going home safe and sound.

I plop onto my bed as Riley takes my pack and hers to empty out.
" Meds, food, toys, hat, socks." Riley says
" no way, I just found the same old stuff that is most likely expired." I say
Riley talks more about all the little things I got, she always looks cute when she goes on like that, her eyes light up, like there's still hope in the world.
"Hey Ellie look watch this!" She says
She winds up a toy and it starts to make noise and walk.
" No fucking way!" I say
"Yup, I love it! It's really cool!" She squeals
I nod smiling.
I hope Riley is always this happy about life, not worrying about the monsters and more worried on what would be normal kid stuff. But of coarse we can't live like this, we have to sit still and behave, we can not leave the quarry with loudness but with stealth.