Chapter 1

"I cannot believe you," I said into the phone, letting out a defeated sigh, "It's raining fucking bullet out here and I missed the bus. You have to come pick me up, Kate. It's the first day back. You know I can't miss this."

"I'm sorry, Bec, but I have a hangover. I can't drive like this. I know you and your nerdness wants to go to school, but I guess you'll have to miss today. Trust me, you'll thank me later. Love ya."

I opened my mouth to scream at Kate, but she'd already taken the initiative of hanging up first. I let out a quiet scream through my teeth before putting my phone away and heading back inside to grab a raincoat. I had to show up to the first day, even if I did look like a wet dog.

"AP History,
AP English,
French III,
AP Physics,
AP Calculus."

I read through my schedule on my phone as I walked, smiling to myself. Finally I'd gotten all AP classes. Sure it took a little "convincing" from my parents to get Mr. Albener to agree to letting me into AP Calc. but it was all in good spirit.

As I cross the student parking lot, I almost get hit by a bright blue minivan, only avoiding it by jumping out of the way. "I'm walking here!" I shout at the van while flipping the bird. "Learn to fucking drive!" The minivan then screeches to a halt and a semi-familiar head pops out from the drivers side window.

"Not my fault your blind!" Trevor Holdren shouts with a familiar smirk plastered on his face. The smirk is practically the only thing about him that's familiar.

Trevor Holdren had been a total dork when we'd parted ways at the end of Junior year. Acne up the wazoo, untamed, long hair, and braces-rubber bands and all. But it seems he went through the cliché summer shift. His face was clear, hair cut and groomed, teeth white, straight, and not covered in metal. His face also gave away he'd lost some weight. My favorite class buddy was now the hottest guy who'd ever even talked to me at Green High.

I quickly pulled myself out of my shock and returned a playful smile. "Looking good, Trev. For the first time ever."

"I'd say the same to you, but that raincoat makes you look like a tiny, wet Satan." And with that he pulled his head back into the window and drove off in his mom's van.
***
I went to my assigned locked and shoved my stuff inside before shaking out my raincoat. Trevor was right, but this humongous raincoat would make anyone look like Satan.

"Makin' it rain, baby girl," came a voice from behind me, accompanied by sprinkles of water above my head. I turned around with a smile and shoved my old friend, Wyatt, shaking out his fishing hat.

"Jerk. Do you know how long it took me to do my hair this morning." I smoothed my hair down and shoved my coat in my locker.

"I assume you just brushed it. So I say half a minute," he said casually with a pat to my head. "But seriously, you look like shit. Let me put your hair up." He took the white-blond hair tie off of his wrist and spun me around, pulling my hair up skillfully. "You miss the bus?"

"Yeah. But Kate was supposed to drive me to school today. She's skipping because she has a hangover." I let out a sigh. I loved Kate like a sister. But like most sisters, half the time I wanted to drop-kick her down a set of stairs.

"You know you can't rely on her for anything. You should've called me. I'd say I'm a pretty reliable plan B." He finished a masterful bun with a soft 'tada.'

"True. So what do you have first period?" I asked, eyebrow raised as I turned around to face him.

"FST." He said, glancing at the schedule in his hand.

"Shit," I huffed, "what lunch?" I asked, looking up at him. Unlike Trevor, Wyatt didn't change a bit. Close-clipped blond hair, soft green eyes, tan skin, and a gentle face and body.

"C."

"Great!" A huge smile spread across my face. "Until then, try and enjoy your first classes without me. I know it will be hard, but you have to go on without me." I stuck out my lower lip and grabbed my bag.

"It's going to tear me apart, but I'll try." He said with a face of mock hurt. I sent him and air kiss before heading off to first period, unknowing of what was to be coming my way senior year.