Chapter 8

I woke up and rolled over in my bed, stretching my body and letting a groan escape me throat.
   "Cute," I heard a voice say from the other side of the room and opened my eyes, a smile fitting into my face as I spotted Trevor by the opposite wall, riffling through my books from one of my eight shelves that held them.
   I looked him up and down, smiling. He was rumpled. His jeans hanging lowly from his hips, t-shirt wrinkled and lopsided, a small spot of dried drool covering one of the sleeves making me quickly check my mouth to find that I had drooled in the night, and his dirty blond hair stuck to one side of his head. "Looking pretty cute yourself," I said, although it came out sloppy because of my retainer, but it seemed Trevor could understand me since he laughed. Or he was jus laughing at my temporary speech impediment.
Smiling, I unraveled myself from the sheets and walked over, wrapping one arm around his waist and leaning into his side, looking at the book he was flipping through. "The Glass Castle," I said against his arm, "one of my favorites."
"Same here. Great metaphor for life."
I couldn't help but laugh. "As in life is trash."
"No," Trevor replaced the book on the shelf and turned, wrapping his arms around my waist and looking down at me. "People are always gonna tell you the pretty things about life, but it just turns out to be trash."
I threw my head back and laughed. "That is literally what I just said."
"But mine sounded like the bull you feed to English teachers." He pinched my nose with a smile. "Your parents left at eight, so I'm hoping it's safe to go downstairs."
"How do you know they left?" I asked, moving from his arms and going to the bedroom to take out my retainer.
"I'm an early bird, unlike you Princess Drools-A-Lot. I heard them both walking around the hallway and then pull out of the driveway. I kept praying to God that they wouldn't walk in to rouse you."
"I'm surprised they didn't. And I forgot, they have the benefit brunch at the club. Although the brunch generally turns to lunch, then they grab dinner there, then a few drinks and end up calling an Uber to get home." I walked out and nudged Trevor before running downstairs and going for the kitchen.
As I went for my secret cabinet, Trevor went for my fridge. "Kale... lemons... fennel... garbanzo beans... Jesus Christ, you are the whitest family on the planet." I cleared my throat to catch his attention and waved a foil package of PopTarts. A smile curved his lips. "And you are me oasis."
We sat on the large leather couch in the main room, watching Nicholas Cage movies from my rather large collection.
"I don't know whether to be jealous of your Nicholas Cage obsession or scared for your health," Trevor said halfway through National Treasure 2.
"It's a healthy obsession. Not like I have a shrine in my closet." I gave a nervous laugh, making Trevor give me a scolding look and then the both of us broke into laughter.
Our laughter fit was interrupted by my phone ringing. I stretched and grabbed it from the coffee table, groaning and sitting up as I answered.
"What do you want, Kate?" I said a little more harshly than intended.
"Whoa. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed." She said, sounding surprisingly connected to the world.
"What do you want, Kate?" I repeated with a sigh, dropping my head in my hand and surprised to find Trevor rubbing my lower back.
"Alright, alright. We'll skip the chat. I need a Zanny." I sighed and rubbed my face. "Come on. It's important."
   "What for?"
   "I haven't gotten high in like... three days. I need something and Zannys are the quickest way."
   "They're not, but..." I sighed. "I don't even have any to give you. Stock's been low and I'm even running low on Valium."
   "Come on. I'll trade you three joints for two pills."
   I felt my jaw clench. "Get high off your joints you dumbass!"
   "But... it's not good-"
   "Goodbye Kate." I said shortly before hanging up on her. "Sorry about that. She's such a-" I stopped when I turned to Trevor, my brow furrowing at his expression. "What?"
   "I don't like you doing this, Beccs." Trevor said to me seriously, taking my hand. "It's not good for you. You're gonna get in trouble."
   I waved him off with my free hand. "It'll be fine. Besides. How else am I expected to make money." It was rhetorical, but he answered anyways.
   "Get a job."
   "I can't do that. I don't have the time. You know this." I squeezed his hand and smiled. "And it's not like I'm doing any except for what I usually take. I'm just selling to people who need it. Not like to people like Kate who just want to get high. I give it to people with real anxiety problems and stuff who's parents won't take them to get treated."
   "It's not right." Trevor said, pulling me into his lap, making me straddle him, and wrapping his arms around my waist. "You should leave this stuff to the doctors, babe."
   I sighed. "I know, it's just..."
   "You have no excuse but your need for money, Beccs." He murmured up at me.
   I let a huff escape from between my lips. "Alright. I'll stop dealing after winter break."
   I didn't intend to lie to Trevor like that. It just happened.