Chapter 4

I took my mom's car into down, on the condition of doing the dishes tonight even if I'm not eating. I couldn't help but be a little jumpy about seeing Trevor, although I quickly put it in the back of my head and said I was jumpy about the idea of finding out what happened to Ms. Newberry. Did I like Trevor? Sure. But people like me didn't have time for dating.
When I got to the parking lot of Munchees, I spotted Trevor next to, what looked to be, his dad's old motorcycle and wearing jeans instead of the khaki shorts I'd seen him in earlier.
"Don't you have a vehicle of your own? First your mom's van and now your dad's cycle?" I called with a smile as I locked the car and climbed out. I'd decided on wearing a simple pair of jean shorts, crop top, and a transparent boyfriend cardigan. I decided to look cute enough to look up and down while not looking like I thought it was an actual date.
"You shouldn't be one to talk. Isn't that your mom's car?" He smirked and walked over to meet me on the sidewalk. I saw his eyes flick up and down. "You clean up well, Miles."
"I'd say the same thing. But why are you wearing jeans in eighty degree weather?" We walked into the store.
"Okay, don't judge me because hot pleather chafes and burns and I didn't want to take the chance of burning my calves."
"Why? Because then your career as a leg model would be over?" I elbowed him playfully.
"Absolutely. These babies are all I've got going for me." We laughed and quickly ordered our yogurt before stepping out into the heat again.
"So," I started as we took a seat at an outdoor patio table. "How are we going to snoop on Newberry?"
   "I didn't really think into extreme depth on this, so bear with me." He pulled out his phone and held it up to me. "We look through her Facebook an her friends Facebook."
   "Wouldn't you have to be friends with her?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. "And why do you have a Facebook?"
   "A: I am friends with her. B: FarmVille." I laughed at him as he pulled up her profile.
   Her last post had been five weeks ago. "I'd like to thank my friends and family for helping through these dark times of mine. Feeling blessed."
   Trevor and I stared at each other, his one eyebrow raised. "Wonder what she means by dark times." Trevor said before looking back at his phone and scrolling through what I assumed to be Ms. Newberry's friends profiles.
   "Maybe... relationship problems?" I suggested to him. "I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were mental problems." This earned me a smile.
   After a few moments, Trevor locked his phone. "To be honest, I don't really wanna snoop at the moment. I kinda used it as an excuse to get you out of the house and to talk to little old me."
   I smiled. "What made you think you needed an excuse to hang out with me?"
   "The fact that I assumed your nerd ass would already be studying." He laughed and nudged me.
   "Those are fighting words." I turned to him and smirked.
   "I'd be happy to kick your ass, Jr." He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and squeezed.
   This entire situation was kind of mixed message. I couldn't tell if it was affectionate or... brotherly.
   "Oh, I may be scrawny but I can still-" I was cut off by the buzzing of my cell phone. "Fuck." I grumbled.
   "Was that an offer?" Trevor joked and I quickly elbowed him in in the ribs before answering my phone.
   "Mom? I told you I was-"
   "Come home right now. I did not allow you to go out! You've missed dinner and the kitchen's a mess." She hung up before I even got a word in.
   "You've gotta be kidding me." I said under my breath and shoved my phone in my purse.
   "What?" Trevor asked, standing up with me.
   "My mothers early Alzheimer's is kicking in." I said as I looked up at him and tucked hair behind me ear. "Sorry." 
   "It's fine, I understand. I should get home anyways."
   "Alright. Have a good night." I started walking towards my car as he walked to his bike.
   "Drive safe, okay?" He called over to me, smiling.
    I felt a hard thump in my throat and smiled back before getting in my car. "You too."
   I sat in my car for a few moments, smiling to myself like a damn idiot, before driving home to see what else my psychopathic mother had to yell at me about.