Chapter 10

"Seriously, Kate. I can't do this right now." I groaned as I slipped into my black pencil skirt and tucked in the white blouse to go with it.

My parents were having their annual Christmas party, which I was usually a guest to or I left to go to another party with my friends. This year, mom said we were "tight on money" and said that I would be serving the guests this year.

Instead of arguing, I sucked it up and got my outfit ready. Besides, when I took the coats and bags to the coat room, I could maybe just... peek in the pockets to see if my parents friends are actually good for something.

As I got ready for the party, Kate had decided to come over and be a pain in my ass, as always. If my parents had invited her to the party, she sure didn't dress like it. She wore combat boots with khaki military pants and a baggy jacket that hung off her skinny shoulder.

I went to the bathroom to retrieve the tie that I'd steamed and put it on. "Seriously, Kate. I'm done with your shït. Just go home an sober up."

There was a long period of silence and I quickly ran out of the bathroom, finding Kate grinding a couple of my Ritalin on my dresser with the end of my kabuki brush.

"What the fuçk?" I shouted, quickly dashing over and counting my stash as she quickly snorted up the sloppily crushed drugs. She'd taken three and a half. I irritatedly tapped my temple with my index finger at an oncoming headache.

She pulled a buck from her pocket ad handed it over. "Friend discount." She said as she sniffed.

I stared dubiously at the dollar that laid in my palm. "Twenty bucks." I said after a deep breath. It wasn't exactly compensation for the pills... more compensation for my not killing her right there.

"Twenty bucks!" She shouted. "That's more than five bucks a pill. That's ridiculous."

"Glad you can still do math. Now fork it over." She dropped a crumbled twenty in my palm, which I shoved into my pocket. "You're unbelievable." I grumbled. 

"I can't believe you charged your best friend twenty bucks for three measly pills."

"Three and a half. And listen here, a best friend wouldn't take their best friends medication. Now I would appreciate it if you left my house. Now."

"Awe," she stuck her lower lip out, "are you breaking up with me?"

I gritted my teeth. "Get the fuçk out of my house, Kate! We're not friends anymore. Nor were we ever. I couldn't care less if you drove home high on an overdose of Ritalin you fuçking bïtch!"

She gave me a look of disgust. "Jesus Christ, what's up your asś?" She rolled her eyes and stomped out. "Call me when you're done with your period." She shouted before slamming the door.

I sat on my bed and let a scream out into my pillow before quickly bouncing up and checking my makeup, which still looked great. I moved back to my stash and looked through, finding I only had twenty pills left.

I felt an oncoming headache and realized that I hadn't taken a dosage today. I sighed and followed Kate's lead, needed to get it into my system quicker than just swallowing them.

Crushing the pills with the end of the brush and carefully getting all the chunks out, I snorted the white powder and dusted off my dresser. I quickly put a note in the small box saying eighteen. Letting me know how many pills I had left.

After brushing my nose and fixing my bow tie, I ran downstairs to see that many guests had already arrived and thrown their jackets and purses on the kitchen counter. At the excitement of what the pockets and purses held, I licked my lips as I grabbed the load and took it to the room.

After collecting people's belongings for a good hour and serving food and drinks for another two, I snuck my way downstairs to the coatroom and sat on the floor as I began rifling through the goldmine that was sitting in my basement.