:: Attempt 09 | Superman ::

"I can't stand to fly;
I'm not that naive.
I'm just out to find,
The better part of me.

"It may sound absurd but don't be naive;
Even heroes have the right to bleed.
I may be disturbed but won't you concede,
Even heroes have the right to dream?
And it's not easy to be me."
- "Superman" by Five for Fighting

x + x

[Location: Okinawa, Japan.]

He's here once again.

Without hesitation, he steps out from the sleek, darkly colored vehicle, clutching the bundles tight in his white-knuckled grip. He barely spares a glance at the younger man following after his hurried footsteps, and he passes beneath the marble arch leading to the path, which is now nearly covered all over by overgrown vines.

The man strides purposefully forward, never stopping, never hesitating; although his pale complexion states otherwise regarding his mental state.

As much as he wants to see him again, he doesn't want to be here. He doesn't want to remember anything about this place: the nights he was left alone with his sister that he had to keep watch over her in her bedroom, resenting the way their parents' yells resonated through the walls; the days he took her out to see the sea, away from the constant mess in their house with all the screams, the pleas and the crack of his father's belt snapping into his skin; the copper taste in his mouth as he collapsed to the floor after receiving another one of his father's punches.

As much as he hates Okinawa, he's here once again.

And it is because of him. It always is.

The grass crunches beneath his shoes, and not long after the ground changes into the cement pathway of stairs leading up to his destination. His gaze flicks to the side, just once, taking note of the way the sea looks eerily calm at this time of day.

As if there isn't anything lurking beneath their depths. A deceptive mirror of the skies, indeed.

He finally starts to halt his footsteps, stopping just before several markers set in the middle of a fenced in space on a cliff overlooking the sea. There are three, spaced evenly in a row, with familiar names traced upon their surfaces.

This wasn't their hometown, he is sure, but it was what he would have wanted. They had always wished to see the place where the man himself had been born, after all.

Albeit he had left for Britain with his mother and sister when he had only been ten years of age, and he'd only come back eight years after that. It wasn't exactly wise to stay in the place where they'd grown up when his parents had recently separated then, after all.

He walks to the marker set on the left, placing a bouquet of white lilies in front. He does the same to the one on the right, and as he's bent his head down low, as if in prayer, his companion walks up to him, keeping a respectful distance.

The younger man walks toward the leftmost marker as well, kneeling before it as he sets down a bouquet of tea roses before he gets up and does the same to the one on the right; this time with a bouquet of cyclamens. He looks up, his brown eyes staring questioningly.