Chapter Seven

I pull on the latch that sits loosely on the little white gate sitting in front of me. The white picked fence sits lifeless in front of the yard. I walk through the gate and can the yard is filled with balls, a bike and a sand box. Whitney's pale yellow house stares at me as I make my way up to the porch. The front door opens and Remy runs out towards me.

"Aunt Maggie, Aunt Maggie! I am so happy to see you!" Remy runs into me and wraps his arms around my stomach.

Pain shoots up through my injured leg and rushes into my stomach as he squeezes me tighter.

"I missed you Aunt Maggie. Why haven't you came to see Momma or me?" Remy looks up into my face giving me a pitiful look with those sweet blue eyes.

"Oh Remy sweetie, Aunt Maggie has been so busy with work. I am so sorry for not stopping by sooner to see you." I kiss him on the forehead and he gives me a big smile. He lets go of my waist and grabs my hand.

"Momma will be so happy to see you!" He guides us up onto the porch and through the white front door.

"Remy, where are you? Your breakfast is getting cold." Whitney hollers as she rounds the corner of the kitchen coming into her foyer. Whitney's house is a decent size for her and Remy. 

"Momma, Aunt Maggie is here!" Remy squeals with delight as he runs to her.A huge smile comes across her face as she walks over to me and wraps her arms around my neck, giving my a big hug. I wrap my arms around her and squeeze her tightly. Her long blonde hair wraps around my nostrils and I smell in her sweet lavender scent. She still smells the same as she always had since we were little. We both pull back from each other.

"Oh Maggie, where have you been? I was starting to get worried about you." Whitney pulls her hand to my chin and turns my face to the other side. I knew I wouldn't be able to hide it good from her. I can never hide anything from her. 

"I'm sorry Whit. Between both of my jobs, I am exhausted." Hopefully she won't bring up the bruises on my face. She removes her hand from my chin and gives me a concerned look. I lick my lips nervously and pull a strand of hair behind my hair. 

I can never act natural when I am nervous, I always start fidgeting with something. 

"I will cook lunch for us, but you will tell me what's been going on before you leave." I sigh at her and bring my purse to foyer table and place it down. I might as well get this over with, she will keep as her hostage until I tell her what has been going on. 

"So, where I do begin..." I say to her as we both walk into her kitchen. I tell her everything, starting with the hotel and meeting William. And then I tell her about Donovan and my biological father. She leans against the kitchen counter, listening to me intuitively. She always gave me her full attention whenever I spoke to her or needed her help. I know I can always trust her and count on her for anything. 

"Oh Maggie! What are you going to do about Donovan? Sounds like you like him?" 

"Does it? I am trying to NOT to like him." Giving her a sad look as I twiddle my hair in my fingers.

"Well he came down here for a lot of money Maggie. Just don't get your hopes up okay? I don't want you to be heart broken if that is all he is wanting from you." I nod at her and finally put my hair strands behind my ear. 

"So about your biological father, do you think it's true? Since you can't ask your Mom any questions yet, are you going to go to New York to meet this man that says he is your father?" Whitney was always precise with her questions. In school she always asked the teachers the right questions when assignments were do. She would go above and beyond on each one in high school.