Chapter Six

One hour later, Kalia found that what happened next was mostly a blur. She remembered running, but that was all.

Kay didn't like not remembering.

River and Kay were in the TARDIS. The Doctor, Amy, and Rory had gone out. Their phones dropped in the scuffle to escape the Angel, they had no way to contact them.

"We need to get Ryan! It's our fault!", Kay exclaimed, locking the TARDIS doors.

"We should wait, Kay. We don't know when the others will get back.", River said, still breathing heavily.

"Oh yeah.", Kay said, somewhat sarcastically,"If only we had a time machine or something, we could be back in thirty seconds!".

River eyed Kalia reluctantly. It was true they could do exactly that, but River had gotten a sense of foreboding. Something horrible was going to happen, and she didn't want Kay around for whatever it was.

River sighed.

"Alright, but we need to be careful.", River said, opening the telepathic circuit.

Tenderly, Kalia slipped her hands into the circuit. The Type 40 TARDIS gave a slight sigh as she relinquished control onto Kalia.

In her mind, Kay could use her past meetings with Ryan to trace her to wherever she is now. Following the invisible path, Kay slowly flew the TARDIS threw the Time Vortex.

With the same wheezing sound, they landed. River bit her lip, nervous. Kalia withdrew her hands from the circuit, rubbing them. Using that particular one was hands on, and always left a slight stinging sensation afterwords.

Kay could remember the first time she saw it, so curious about the whole setup.

Tegan had woken up early. Walking out into the control room, she had found the Doctor kneeling next to the little child, who was running her hand over the Telepathic Circuit.

Kalia's hair was tied up in a bun, unlike yesterday when it had all been down. Her dull eyes were brightened by the expression of a child on Christmas. Tegan supposed that, for her, perhaps this was exactly like that of the joy of the holidays.

"Good morning.", the Doctor said, standing up straight,"You're up early.".

Tegan felt a slight rush of euphoria at the bland greeting. It was her first full day back in the TARDIS.

"Couldn't sleep. I'm just so glad to be back.".

Little Kalia turned her head to look at Tegan. She loved to watch Tegan's eyes, which had been so happy all of yesterday.

"You know, I really must get around to finding another Sonic Screwdriver.", the Doctor said,"It'll be difficult to get around without one.".

Kalia ran her little hands across the circuit again. She was finding that there was an endless amount of things to learn about the TARDIS, and she got frustrated when she couldn't understand it all.

The other day, Kalia had been wondering around in the library, and had found an old book series called 'Harry Potter'. She had read the first three books, but she hadn't had time for the rest. She liked the concept of it all, as it reminded her of herself to a certain degree. Stuck in a dreary place, until a miracle came and took her someplace wonderful with amazing people.

She wished she could forget everything other than where she was and who she was with. Kalia never wanted to see the Council again.

Nyssa, the only survivor of her planet being destroyed, stumbled out into the console room, looking pale and panicked.

"America 1863.", Kay announced as they stepped out the doors.

The town was boisterous as it went along with it's daily routine. People walked past, ignoring the big blue box.

"Alright then. I'll go ask around.", River said, putting on an American accent,"Stay here.".

River went off to the other side of the street, leaving Kay to stand quite alone in front of the disguised ship. Trying to find a way to occupy herself, Kalia decided to delve back into her memories. This time of when the Doctor had come into his tenth regeneration.

"Hurry up!", Kalia said,"You aren't missing Christmas dinner because of your own stupid prefences.".

The Doctor came out in a brown striped suit, complete with tan converse that reminded Kalia of sand.

"Sandshoes with a suit. That's new.", Kalia commented. The Doctor smiled.

"But this is only one suit! This one when we go into the past, and a blue one for the future.", the Doctor said proudly. Kay laughed.

The dinner was the most fun she'd had in awhile. Mickey kept cracking jokes at Jackie, who he had stopped being cold towards after they saved each others lives a while back. Rose sat with the Doctor, laughing without a care in the world.

Kay had started to suspect that Rose liked the Doctor. Moreover, she didn't think the Doctor would be adverse to finding out. It was that little fact, and the way they acted together, that had caused Kalia to start shipping them. It wasn't her fault, neither was the choice of words, but seeing them together made Kay smile.

She knew that, at some point, they would run into complications concerning their obvious crushes on each other. For now though, she was fine not thinking about it.

It was moments like this one that made Kay remember why all the loss was worth it, in the end. Though sometimes it didn't feel like that at all.

Turning her head suddenly, Kalia could hear something in the alley next to the TARDIS.