Chapter Seven

This chapter is a songfic chapter. Bear in mind this is the first time I've written one, so give me a break. The song is Defeated by Breaking Benjamin. Listening to the song while reading this chapter will probably help.
_________________________________________

Slip away your vanity is gone. I'm falling out of place. We all fall down.

Kalia shifted to the left, hesitant to follow the sound. She didn't want to be absent if something happened.

The pain goes on.

But she couldn't expel the sound from her mind.

We bare the fruit of war, and turn the lost away

It was nothing, just a quiet chuckle. Nothing menacing or frightening. It was the voice that peaked her interest. It was a voice that she'd heard before, but one she had seen die before her eyes.

We all fall down.

The Master's wife had shot him right after the Doctor, Kalia, Martha and her family had rewound time. He had fallen to the ground too quickly for the Doctor to get there.

The pain goes on.

He reached him right after he landed on the ground. Holding him in his arms, the Master had refused to regenerate.

I'll be the fire that dries the blood.

He considered it his last victory.

But that voice, there was no doubt about it that it was the Master's voice.

As I fight for one last breath.

Kalia felt the world slow down, her heartbeat in her ears. She had become insanely aware of her surroundings, the way the Council originally intended.

I keep holding on.

Tentatively, she took another step towards the alley.

No love to believe in.

As she stepped into the narrow passageway, she could calculate that considering the darkness of the place due to the roof overhead and the overcast sky, she'd only be able to see about a foot in front of her.

As I drag the Devil down.

Slowly, she snailed her way into the alley. Her vision ahead impaired, Kay felt the overwhelming desire to turn back.

I will stand alone.

No matter how brave she acted or what her past consisted of, confronting fear was something that Kalia had never mastered. She was beginning to suspect that such a thing was impossible.

No longer defeated.

Her hand ran across the wall as she went deeper into the overwhelming darkness.

Stripped away, we rise above it all. Forgotten and betrayed.

If she concentrated hard enough, Kay could almost feel that ghostly chill from so long ago wash over her.

We all fall down, the pain goes on.

Kalia's thoughts were crystal clear.

No better than before. Still broken and afraid.

She could hear the patter of hooves from the horses in the street, the voices of the young and old, even the vague vibrations that the TARDIS sent flying through the air.

We all fall down.

She could even picture the Master's face now.

The pain goes on.

No... She wasn't picturing it. The face, growing clearer by the second, was most certainly not a figment of Kay's imagination.

And I'll be the cloud that hides the sun.

The Master stood in front of her, fully formed and alive. Kalia's whole body froze.

As I fight for one last prayer. I'll keep holding on.

How on Gallifray was he alive? Or a better question, why was he here in 1836 America, right where the Weeping Angel had sent Ryan.

No love to believe in.

A memory from the day before came rushing back to Kalia. She could once again see the pendant fall from her hands and clatter to the ground.

As I drag the Devil down. I will stand alone.

Weeping Angels, a Dalek pendant, and now the Master.

No longer defeated.

Why on earth was everything seeming to be connected?

Kalia couldn't bring herself to open her mouth, astounded by the Master's sudden revival.

I'm falling to pieces.

"You look much older than the last time I saw you, Kay. I must've been out of the game for awhile.", said the Master, taking advantage of Kay's stunned silence,"I assume you've come looking for that girl, yes?".

Stained and used.

Kalia just stared at him, trying to make the wheels in her head turn.

I know what I need and it's not you.

"Well, lucky for you I happen to know how to help. She's just a few feet ahead, although she is unconscious.", he said, a devious smile dancing across his face.

It's not you.

Kalia couldn't get one word in before he had disappeared.

As I fight for one last prayer. I keep holding on.

Kay didn't know which emotion was stronger: Hatred, astonishment, or suspicion.

No love to believe in.

Kalia was snapped out of her reverie by the sound of her name.

As I drag the Devil down.

Whipping around on the spot, Kay pushed her legs forward as fast as she could, and she ran.

I will stand alone.

She ran right into the arms of a panicked River Song.

No longer defeated.
No longer defeated.
No longer defeated.

This chapter took more work than usual to complete. Personally, I'm very proud of it. And things are getting weird now. How is it all connected? (Well Chickadee221 will probably be able to figure some of that out, considering she helped come up with the plot). What she DOESN'T know, however, is who the secret characters are that are coming in next chapter. I've been keeping it a secret. Well, trying to anyway. Ha.