Chapter 2: Tears of Joy

The hand of Ryuuji's was joined with the hand of Taiga's as the two lovers strolled their way to Ryuuji's home.  The sky blessed their relationship by revealing its divine sunlight all the way from the heavens.

"So, Ryuuji, whats for our dinner tonight?  I hope you have some meat..."

Taiga spoke to Ryuuji as he was spacing out.

Ryuuji was thinking hard about the consequences and catches on Taiga coming back.  He thought constantly...  I know she's come back, but how long is this going to last?  What if we only get a few days before her mother comes rushing back for her?  I can't stand being away from her again.

Taiga yelled, "RYUUJI!?".  He jumped and regained consciousness of his surroundings.

"Huh?  Ah...  Taiga, how long are you going to be around?"  Ryuuji cried.

Taiga's eyes widened a little.  She smiled broadly at Ryuuji and strengthened her grasp on his hand.  A monologue followed this action.

"How long will I be around, huh?  Well, my mother won't be on her way back for me anymore.  She can't tell me what to do anymore.  You should know that by now since I'm responsible enough to look after myself now.  I'm 18 now, you know?  I can take care of myself.  But more importantly, I can stay here with you...  For as long as I wish.  I won't be leaving you, Ryuuji, never again.  I'm really sorry for leaving you behind for such a long time, and I will do everything in my power to make it up to you.  So it's ok, Ryuuji, you don't need to worry anymore.  Wipe that frown off of your face."

Taiga sighed as she watched Ryuuji's pitiful face.

"... You can stop crying while you're at it, Ryuuji."

Ryuuji gasped in shock and stopped walking.  Taiga stopped and looked back at him.  The inevitable tears ran down Ryuuji's puzzled face.  He was certain that the cause of his tears was the joy that Taiga wouldn't be leaving.  He stood, paralyzed from his relief.  Taiga approached the weeping Ryuuji and reached her hand towards his tear stained face.  The softness landed onto his face and wiped away the tears.

"Taiga..."  Ryuuji muttered.  "Let's go home."

Taiga nodded willingly.  The two intertwined their hands once more as they continued their journey to Ryuuji's house.

"Do you think Yasuko will be surprised to see you?"  Ryuuji asked.

"Of course she will!  It's been ages since I've come over!"  Taiga chuckled.

~ At Ryuuji's house ~

Ryuuji opened the door.

"I'm home!"  Ryuuji yelled.  Both Taiga and Ryuuji got inside the house, the door shutting behind them. They simultaneously took their shoes off and put slippers on.  Taiga breathed in the homely atmosphere and smiled.  Yasuko, Ryuuji's mother, was, as usual, sitting in the living room.  For once, she wasn't half-drunk, which was thanks to her mother and father who she had a reunion with a while ago.  Taiga stared down at the matured Yasuko.  She caught Taiga's gaze and rushed to her feet in immediate surprise.  She frantically paced around, looking at the Tiger.

"T-Taiga?!  You're back?"  She created a playful and cheerful expression.

Taiga nodded and bowed a little as she prepared to make a proposal.  Her eyes reconnected with Yasuko's gaze.

"Ya-chan.  Is it ok if I stay here- at your house- from now on?"  Taiga boldly spoke.  She straightened her body and looked towards the floor as her face was painted a light shade of red.  Her blush rose her temperature and her heart pounded.  Yasuko stared at Ryuuji for a split second before returning to Taiga's pleading face.  She let out a deep sigh.

"It's perfectly fine.  Just don't be too loud, ok?"  Yasuko laughed as she winked.  Ryuuji and Taiga both thrashed around for a second at the stereotypical comment from Yasuko.

"Yasuko!  Honestly... D-Don't say things like that!"  Ryuuji panicked.

"Yeah yeah."  Yasuko mumbled as she sat back down.  She looked at Ryuuji as if she was expecting something from him.  Taiga also turned to face the tall boy.  Both of them stared at the Dragon's eyes with determination.  The silence was broken by two stomachs roaring.

"O-Oh.  What do you guys want for dinner?"  He sighed.