Chapter 7: Fake Smiles

30 minutes after Minori had arrived to Kitamuta's house, Ami showed up.  She had a casual get-up just like everyone else.

"Ah..  I think I got the wrong time.." Ami giggled as she settled next to Taiga on the sofa.  A sly smile was sent from Ami's face to Taiga's vision as they glared at each other.  The tiger narrowed her eyes whilst facing her and the atmosphere grew tense.  Either of the two feisty females looked as if they could lash out at each other in a fraction of a second.  Ryuuji, Kitamura and Minori all drowned in nervousness as they observed them.  After a few long moments, Ami's sharp eyes painfully blinked.

"AHAH!  I win!"  Yelled Taiga as she rose to her feet in an instant and held her palms to her hips.  Chorally, the other three gasped and murmured "Eh?" in confusion.

"Jeez, will I ever win a staring contest against you?"  Ami sulked.  The others all dropped their jaws in realization of the childish game that just took place.

Shortly after some odd catch up conversations, everyone other than Kitamura decided it was a good time to give the presents that they had bought for him.  Never had anyone seen Kitamura's face shine so brightly before he received these gifts which were planned to be used as a way to remember them all after he goes to America.  Ryuuji's present was the Dragon plushy; Taiga's was the Tiger plushy; Minori's was the Monkey plushy and Ami's was the Lion plushy.  There was water glistening faintly in the corners of Kitamura's eyes as he grinned broadly.

At the sight of the lion plushy from Ami, Minori had furrowed brows and narrowed eyes whilst making a low pitched hum.  Moments later, she blinked and sharply pointed her finger towards Ami.

"When did you get in on our idea?!"  Yelled Minori, without holding back on her volume.  Ami jumped back startled by the sudden shout.  After a few long seconds of her eyes being as wide as can be, Ami let out a deep sigh and closed her strained eyes.  Upon re-opening her eyes, she spoke.

"Taiga told me about it."

The only reply she got was a slight movement of Minori's head.  As the awkwardness built up, Ryuuji started to recall the fact that he hasn't been in contact with Minori ever since the shopping trip.  He decided that it was time to confront her, but before he could even slip a word, Minori burst out laughing, hunched over.  The others looked extremely confused but ended up giggling too except for Ryuuji.

Ryuuji's eyes widened as he thought to himself:  "No... This isn't how Kushieda laughs.  It's too sarcastic to be her normal laugh, isn't it?  As I thought, there must be something wrong... of course it's not what Taiga mentioned though, right?  Right?"  As if to not be left out, Ryuuji laughed along but it was almost obvious that it was fake.