Chapter 3: The First Night

After the three had finished filling their stomachs with Ryuuji's cooking, there was a never ending silence at the table.

"So... Ryuuji... Congratulations on graduating!" Yasuko yelled all of a sudden. Ryuuji smiled lightly at the words. Taiga leered at Yasuko and gasped. She had forgotten it was Ryuuji's graduation day.

"Oh! Er... Congrats from me also, Ryuuji." Taiga stuttered. The hand of the Dragon landed on her head and messed up her hair a bit.

"Thanks, both of you." Ryuuji smiled broadly. It was that very smile that Taiga had missed all the time that she had been away. She had missed his smile, his kindness and his company. The Tiger almost broke into tears as she watched the handsome smile of his.

"So, Taiga-chan, where do yer wanna sleep?" Yasuko said with a grin. Both Ryuuji and Taiga created puzzled looks. The house was quite minuscule so the only places to sleep would be in a futon in the main room or... She didn't want to think about sleeping in Ryuuji's room this early in their relationship.

"Uh... Do you have a spare futon..? I'll sleep here in the main room if it isn't a bother." Taiga explained, Yasuko frowned a little but nodded obediently. She left the room to find the futon. Ryuuji and Taiga both sighed simultaneously and smirked when they realized this fact.

"So! Ryuuji, what have you been doing while I was away?" Taiga confronted confidently.

Ryuuji thought to himself. What have I been doing? All I remember doing is constantly waiting for the return of the Tiger. Even Kitamura, Minori and Ami-chan have been different ever since Taiga left, we always did things as if one person was missing, as if we expected her to come even though we knew she wouldn't. We'd always leave one extra seat available for lunch at school and I'd accidentally make an extra bento now and again.

"You know... Studying, hanging out with everyone... But mostly thinking about you." Ryuuji muttered, shyly. It relieved Ryuuji when he saw Taiga's unforgettable smile. The two lovers, who were currently sitting next to each other at the table, stared deeply into the other, ever so gradually inching closer. They grew closer... Closer... Closer... And closer... Their faces were centimeters apart... Closing to millimeters... And after the door opened, the two popped back to where they originally sat, not being able to hold in their blushes. Yasuko crept into the room and began to lay down the futon for Taiga.

"Sorry guys... Did I interrupt somethin'?" Yasuko chuckled as she went towards the door. "I'll be out all night till 7 in the mornin'. Have fun you two!" Yasuko slammed the door and left the house with a twisted grin on her face. She was thinking "My Ryuuji's gonna grow into a man sometime soon!~ 'Tis only fitting that I help him out with that, right?" The room was left with an awkward atmosphere.

"Well... Taiga... Whatcha wanna do?" Ryuuji asked curiously. Taiga was still uncontrollably blushing, she managed to shrug despite how nervous she felt. A small sigh crept out of Ryuuji's mouth. The Tiger, losing all sense of embarrassment, crawled over to Ryuuji and sat an inch away from him. She tilted her head onto Ryuuji's reliable shoulders and closed her eyes. The Dragon, following his surprise, also laid his head down onto Taiga's head.

"Tired, huh, Taiga?" Ryuuji whispered softly. Taiga yawned as her answer and pushed herself up from where she sat. She stared blankly at Ryuuji as she picked up her pajamas that she had brought. Emphasizing the pajamas that she held, Ryuuji finally worked out that he had to leave the room since Taiga was going to change.

"W-Well, I'll get changed and go to sleep also... G-Goodnight!" Ryuuji said as he cautiously left the room to go to his bedroom.

After Taiga was changed, she hesitated to go into her futon. She started thinking to herself. Sure I'm tired, but I don't feel like sleeping just here... G-Gosh Taiga, you're not suggesting going to Ryuuji's room and secretly sleep with him are you? I couldn't do that... B-But, I want to s-so I will...

Ryuuji was fast asleep while his door was quietly opened by Taiga. After she closed the door, she paused, staring at the boy she loved as he peacefully slept inside his futon. Her face was shaded red as she stepped to the edge of the futon.

"Good... There's enough room for me to sneak in..." Taiga whispered as she knelt down onto her knees. She carefully slotted herself into the futon. As she turned to face where Ryuuji was sleeping next to her, she was startled at how close he was. She couldn't contain her blushing as she laid there, staring at the face of the Dragon with admiration. Unconsciously, she wrapped her arms around he neck of the sleeping Ryuuji. This action inevitably awoke him, and he jumped in shock that Taiga was laying in bed with him.

"Why are you-" Ryuuji started, but was interrupted mid-sentence.

"Shut up and let me cling to you, stupid Ryuuji." Taiga cried out as she buried her face into his chest. A kind hand gently rested on her head as she giggled silently. She became possessed by her blush as Ryuuji's hand reached to her cheek and pulled it to face his face. Once again, their faces got closer to each other... Centimeters closer... Millimeters apart... And eventually, their lips met for a long few seconds. When they both pulled back, they longed for one more... A few more seconds were spent as Ryuuji passionately kissed Taiga.

"Goodnight, my Ryuuji. No further tonight, okay? Promise you'll save it for a few months time." Taiga requested. Ryuuji blushed a little and followed it with a strong nod. "I promise."