Chapter 11: Surprise

The darkness of Ryuuji's room was brightened by the expression on his face as he held a black box tightly within his palms.  It was a soft textured box which was small but large enough to fit a ring.  He used his right hand to lift up the top of the box and the spark of the jewellery inside was visible within his eyes.  Stroking the ring, he thought to himself about how he would propose to a girl who was in a coma.  Holding onto his thoughts, he grinned, closed the box, put it down in a drawer and went to sleep.

A glistening sun had risen the next day.  It wasn't extremely hot outside, but it wasn't at all cold either.  There was a gentle, refreshing breeze which blew through the hairs on everyone's head.  The weather was perfect; it was as if the Gods has blessed the day.

Ryuuji's day followed the usual routine.  He got up, ate breakfast, got ready for and then went to work.  The customers were not out of the ordinary.  The food Ryuuji cooked was delicious like normal.  He finished at the usual time and went to visit Taiga in the hospital.  This is where the daily story changes.

Taiga's right hand was being held tightly by both of Ryuuji's hands.  He brought her hand to his forehead and he closed his eyes as he treasured the moment.

"Taiga...  I'm not sure when, but I have a surprise for you.  Please, hang on and wait for it."  He murmured as he moved her hand away from his forehead and brought it to his lips.  Her hand made contact with his mouth and he kissed it for a second.  Following this, he laid her hand back down on the bed and fiddled with her messy hair.

After he was finished with his visit and had arrived home, there was a change in Taiga's condition.

Ryuuji held the box which held the ring firmly within his hands as he sat in his room.  His bliss was disturbed by his phone ringing.  He let it ring a couple times before gently putting down the box and picking up the phone.  In a matter of moments, his calm expression was painted into a shocked one.  He was just told that Taiga was showing signs of waking up.

Ryuuji immediately dropped his phone, grasped onto the black box and shoved it into his pocket.  In a flash, he was out of his house and sprinting to the hospital.

The door to where the tiger was captive was forcefully opened by Ryuuji as he rushed through and halted at Taiga's bedside.  The nurses took a hint and left with a smile.

Ryuuji's heart dropped for a nanosecond when he saw Taiga was still lying down on the bed with her eyes softly shut.  Her hair was still spread out like a wildfire on the bed.  There was no movement other than the steady rise and fall of her stomach which showed that she was healthily breathing.

Wasn't she meant to be showing signs of waking up?  Why isn't she awake?

He thought to himself as he stepped closer.  Just as he was reaching his hand towards hers, he froze.  Her hand flinched.  That minuscule movement was the catalyst for Ryuuji's determination and courage.

"Taiga...  You can do it!  Don't give up...  You can wake up...  You can come back...  Wake up!"  He desperately yells whilst holding onto the hand which had previously moved.

The eyes of the tiger then flinched.  Those eyelids which hadn't opened in a while were opening.  As her doll-like eyes were revealed, Ryuuji couldn't contain his excitement and he wrapped his arms right around Taiga's body.  The embrace awoke Taiga fully.

"TAIGA!!!"  Ryuuji screamed with joy.  He let go of Taiga and pinched himself to test if this was real.  Taiga was sitting up, despite her body being rather weak, and staring at Ryuuji.

"R-Ryuu..."  A cracked voice escaped from the mouth of the tiger.  "Ryuuji..."  She spoke.  The dragon was on the verge of tears and was left speechless.

"I've heard...  Every word...  Ryuuji..."  She whispered.  "Thank...  You...  For being there."  Streams of water began racing down the face of the dragon.  Like a baby, Ryuuji started sobbing and screaming.  In reaction, Taiga chuckled and stroked the hair on his head smoothly.

This moment is exactly the right moment.

Ryuuji reached into his pocket and slowly took the black box out.  He wiped his tear-stained face and his face turned serious as he stared intently at Taiga.  He lowered himself to one knee.  The tiger raised her eyebrows.  She could feel her heart rate increase and she felt as if she was sweating.  Ryuuji lifted the black box lid and displayed the diamond ring to Taiga.

"Taiga.  You are seriously the best thing that has ever happened to me.  I will love you for the rest of my life..."  He pauses and takes a deep breath.  "S-So...  Taiga, will you marry me?"

Taiga widened her eyes to the limit and felt her heart beat even swifter.  Her face was shaded red.  She couldn't hold back her excitement so she smiled broadly.  The smile became a cheeky grin.

"Of course I will, idiot."  She answered.

The ring was picked up by the dragon and gently slipped onto the ring finger of the tiger.

The two of them laughed together and Ryuuji hastily stood up and sat down beside Taiga.  They interlocked their hands, including the hand with the ring on it, and proceeded to share an intimate and unforgettable kiss.