Chapter 9

Nicholas and Christiana make their way back to the camp and over into their cabin. They find Joseph still working on the camera. Joseph turns around when he hears the door open. "Did you two make up?" Joseph asks. Nicholas puts his arm around Christiana and gives her a side hug.

"We're golden," Nicholas says, smiling at Christiana. Christiana decides against telling Joseph about what happened in the woods.

"Did you fix it Joe?" Christiana asks as she walks over to him. Joseph hands her the camera.

"You tell me," Joseph says with a smile. Christiana points the camera at Nicholas and takes a picture.

"Wait what? No! I wasn't ready!" Nicholas protests. Christiana ignores Nicholas and looks at the picture.

"Oh Joe! It works great!" Christiana exclaims. She sets the camera down on the desk. She bends down and hugs Joseph. "Thank you!" She releases him and smiles at him. She doesn't notice him blushing like crazy.

"Take a better one!" Nicholas complains.

"This one looks fine!" Christiana exclaims. She takes the camera and walks over to him. She shows him the picture.

"Oh - wow I'm really photogenic," Nicholas says. Christiana slugs him. "Owwie! It's true though!" Christiana rolls her eyes and puts the camera back on the table. "Don't deny it Chrissy!"

"Anyway," Joseph says. "Where were you two?"

"We found the Ostat house," Nicholas says. "Where's Kelli? We've got some exploring to do!"

"I think she's out by the lake," Joseph says. "She was talking with some guy."

"Talking or flirting?" Nicholas asks. Christiana looks at him.

"Is someone jealous?" Christiana asks with a smirk on her face. Nicholas's cheeks turn pink.

"Shut it Chrissy," Nicholas says. "Come on. Let's go get her." He's still blushing. Christiana grabs Joseph's arm and then they follow Nicholas out the door. "Where by the lake did you see her?"

"At one of the benches," Joseph says. He points. "There she is." They look and see her laughing with another guy. Christiana looks at Nicholas and he looks very upset.

"I'm sure they're just friends," Christiana says, trying to reassure him. That idea is quickly thrown out the window when Kelli leans forward and kisses the guy on the cheek.

"Well I guess the bet is off," Nicholas says.

"Nick-" Christiana starts.

"It's fine. Don't mention anything," Nicholas says. Joseph and Christiana exchange a look. They watch Kelli and the guy stand up and say goodbye. Kelli turns and sees them. She waves and walks over.

"Hey! Did you and Nick-" Kelli starts.

"Yeah we made up," Nicholas says bitterly. "Who was that?"

"Way to be subtle," Christiana whispers, into Joseph's ear. He holds back a laugh.

"Okay, what's your problem Nick?" Kelli asks.

"I don't know - maybe that you're flirting with other people when we have a date planned," Nicholas retorts.

"That was only planned if we have proof, which we don't," Kelli says. She gives an apologetic shrug to Christiana.

"We found the house," Nicholas says. Kelli looks at him.

"The Ostat house?" Kelli asks. Christiana and Nicholas nod. "Alright let's go."

"Whoa whoa whoa - right now?" Joseph asks. Christiana takes his hand.

"You'll be fine," Christiana says. She looks at Nicholas. "Lead the way."