Chapter 16

"I think I'm going to try the pasta salad," Christiana says. "What about you?"

"Umm - I think I'm going to have the steak," Joseph says. He sets his menu down and smiles at Christiana. Christiana looks over her menu at Joseph.

"Well hey there," Christiana says with a chuckle. "Someone's happy."

"I am on a date with a pretty girl," Joseph says. "Did I pick a nice place? I know you said it was bohobo or something like that."

"Bohemian," Christiana corrects him with a chuckle. "But I do like it. It's different, but I like it."

"Great! Um so how's your documentary going?" Joseph asks.

"I think it's going to be great. I still have to get more shots from inside the mansion," Christiana says. "Kelli, Nick, and I heard some noises from in the house so we had to bolt before we even got through three rooms."

"Noises? You know that place is haunted right? Plus they haven't even found the father! He could still be living there!" Joseph says. "You could get hurt or even killed!"

"Oh I'll be fine," Christiana says. "Nick and I have this thing where we get each other out of sticky situations."

"I see you and Nick have gotten pretty close," Joseph says. Christiana looks at him.

"Well yeah," Christiana says. "He's a cool guy once you get past the doucheyness."

"It seems like he knows more about you than I do," Joseph says.

"Joe, we've been here four days," Christiana says. "We all literally just met each other. You're seriously getting jealous about this?"

"Nick did flirt with you," Joseph says. "I wouldn't be surprised if he made a move on you."

"I can't believe you're acting like this," Christiana says. She sets her menu down. "If you were just going to say all of these things, why did you even ask me out?"

"I thought this would show you that I'm the one for you," Joseph says, "but clearly you and Nick already have something."

"Do you know something I don't? Because if you do, I'd like to know," Christiana says with her arms crossed.

"I think you're keeping something from me," Joseph says. "I saw you and him on the couch together."

"Is it illegal to sit with someone on a couch now?" 

"No! You two were just acting like a couple!" Joseph exclaims. Christiana stands up.

"I'm not going to sit here and let you say these things to me," Christiana says. "And here's another thing, you're more of a douche than Nick ever was!" Christiana grabs her phone then storms out of the restaurant. She makes it outside and begins to walk back to the camp, but someone stops her. She looks and sees Joseph. "I don't want to talk-" She's interrupted when Joseph suddenly kisses her. Christiana doesn't feels the sparks she did when she kissed Nick. Christiana closes her eyes in effort to create something, but nothing happens. Joseph breaks apart and looks at her.

"I-I don't understand," Joseph says. "Why-why didn't I feel anything? Did you feel anything?" Christiana shakes her head no.

"Joe, I'm sorry," Christiana says, "but I don't think we were meant to be. You're a good kisser though, but I'm not the one who you should be kissing."

"Well tonight was a bust," Joseph says.

"We could still go and have dinner, but as friends," Christiana says. "It'll make things less awkward between us."

"Alright," Joseph says. "Sounds good to me." They walk back in the restaurant. Secretly, Christiana is happy it didn't work out with Joseph.