The Appalled Darkness

They stared each other in the eye. The man wiped the tears from his face the hugged Latch. He whispered into his ear.

"I knew you were alive. And the whiskey burning your mouth, that means the stories must be true. You are a Skin-burner."

"Yes that's right, but who are you?"

"I am Rodrick, the Royal Duke." 

"Rodrick... it's you."

They both hugged longer. He had forgot all about Rodrick. He had been sure he would have killed him right when he saw them. He then had flashbacks of kings death. Storming in and seeing Rodrick crying. Thinking of it all over and over, his eyes turned black with rage. He longed so much for the moment to behead the bastard that killed Jay. But right now was no time for vengeance, he needed to speak to Rodrick.

"So, what are we supposed to tell the girls? I already told Evelyn. But I can't believe she didn't tell you."

"I try not to speak of work when I get home. Especially with all the things going on at the castle. Some of the guards think there might be some sort of, Revolution..."

"That can't be good. Is it something wrong with the Monarch?"

"Yes, I suppose. His name is King Clarion. He was fine at first. But then after a week or so he snapped. He order one of the maids to the gallows."

"For what reason?"

"Purely for the fun it.