Chapter 22: Rolling in the Deep

He was gone when she woke up the next morning. However, little Luna was sleeping soundly upon the pillow beside her head. Anna sat up from the bed and yawned while stretching out her tired arms. Her eyes narrowed at the sight of her open window, remembering last night. Shaking her head, she sighed and stood up on the floor. Walking to the bathroom, she washed her face and brushed her hair. She walked back to her room and wore comfy shorts. After making herself look presentable, she walked downstairs and looked around for Lola.

The scent of delicious pancakes led her towards the kitchen. "Goodmorning, Grandma," she greeted once she saw her Grandmother over the kitchen counter.

"Goodmorning, Dear."

She hopped up and sat at the kitchen counter and looked over Lola. "Pancakes, yum!"

Lola glanced at her and lifted an eyebrow out of curiosity. "You seem very excited today," she said suspiciously. "Did something happen yesterday?"

Anna blushed a little but managed to hide her face from Lola with her hair. How could she tell her Grandmother that she skipped School yesterday? She had been told to never tell lies ever since she was still young. Had been told to never disobey rules. She was a good girl. But then, she thought to herself, it felt nice being someone different, to be the other kind of girl, to be bad, to be not afraid of the consequences. So she thought, maybe it was best to just keep some things hidden for awhile.

"Nothing important," she said. "Oh, hello there," she greeted once little Luna entered the kitchen, seeming to have sensed the smell of food. A smile brightened from Anna's face as she hopped down the counter and went straight to the fridge to take some milk. She poured it down in a bowl and placed it in front of the kitten which sat calmly near the entrance of the door looking so patient.

 She poured it down in a bowl and placed it in front of the kitten which sat calmly near the entrance of the door looking so patient

"Here you go, little girl." She smiled as the kitten bent down to lick the milk. It felt nice knowing she could satisfy someone's hunger. Even if it was only her kitten.

Just as she stood back up, the doorbell was ringing downstairs.

"Would you mind, Dear?" asked Lola from behind the counter.

"Sure." She walked downstairs, thinking of possibilities. Expectations, perhaps. Would it be her cousins ringing the doorbell too early in the morning? She was puzzled by this. Although, in her heart, it was screaming someone's name.

Zach.

Could it be Zach?

Her heart was pounding like a wild beating drum. And it seemed there was music. Sweet and romantic, full of desire and longing. It was ridiculous, she thought to herself. Last night, she knew he was there. She knew she slept with him. Together. In a single bed. She had heard his even breathing. Had heard his heart beating calmly inside his chest along with a steady drum. Had felt his strong arms surrounding her, warm large hands running up and down her arms. It was only last night and now..she was already missing him. Aching for his touch. For his lips.