Chapter One

The traditionally styled taxi traveled at a convenient speed as raindrops splattered against the car's windows. When I entered the taxi, low quality rap music played through the speakers making me feel awkward. My temporary guardian sits beside me occasionally trying to strike up conversation but I have a hard time speaking with her. The thought and anxiety ridden worries busy my mind in result of my labeled shyness. I begin to focus on the environment around me as well as the weather. It isn't down pouring but the rain keeps a relaxed steady pace. As I look up to the clouds, the white and gray impression they give off make me feel calmer and more understood. My mood matches the weather like two halves of a peanut. I can almost feel the mercy clouds camouflage the color within my hazel eyes. My vision focuses on the window I was looking out of. Scattered raindrops are placed almost resembling tiger strips. When I rest my warm cheek against the window, the cool temperature stills my thoughts. But just like the streams of the rain water slipping from the frequent movement of the wind shield, my thoughts stream back as well.

"Tired?" my guardian asks.

"Yes." I say.

"Well, don't worry. We'll arrive at the foster home soon." she says.

I flinch the slightest when she pats my knee.

"Then you get to put away your things and hopefully get comfortable quickly." Compared to the cold wet weather, she smiles warmly.

With the weather calming me, I fall in and out of sleep. I'm eventually woken up by a shake of my shoulder. My eyes snap open and face my guardian.

"We're here!" she chirps. I grin softly as a form of reply. Then I open the car door that is beside me. I begin to feel my anxiety prick on my insides as I stare at the brick building. Rain beats against my y face discouraging my thoughts of staring any longer.

When my guardian walks me inside, everything seems like a detailed blur. I try my best to talk, smile, and lock respectful eye contact, but that grows easily difficult.

The owner of this home interrupts me from my thoughts.

"…and this is your room." She waves her hand to an ajar door. I'm ushered to push open and I do.

I first notice the painted white walls with rich drown wooden bureaus and wardrobes. Next I notice two twin beds.

"Am I sharing a room with somebody?" I ask.

"Yes. Everyone does. Some rooms even have three people." The owner says holding three fingers.

"Where is she?" I ask.

"Amelia? I'm guessing she's in the dining room for lunch." The owner says. "Oh, by the way, you can call me Jennifer or Jen for short."

"Nice to meet you, Jennifer." I say and she smiles.

"You'll start school Monday." Jennifer says. "For now, I have to go finish filing out something. I'll leave you to pack your things."

After her updated statement, Jennifer left.

"Do you need anything else before I go?" my guardian asks.

"I'm alright thank you." I reassure her with a smile.

She hugs me and leaves through the wide open door without another word. I realize now that I'm alone. I look towards the empty side of the room and my vision lays on the bed. The blankets are a boring white and I look forward to claiming it. I sigh thinking about sleeping later on tonight.

To get it out of the way and to avoid criticism, I pack and organize my cloths into the empty bureau.

Deep down, I'm terrified to start school in just a couple days. But I'm also slightly relieved. I was lucky enough to escape my life and get a chance to start a new one.

I just hope I don't make mistakes and fall back into my unforgivable past.

I sit patiently on my newly claimed bed as I zone out onto an interesting painting.

My head snaps to my backpack that has some school supplies and bend down onto the floor to search through it. I first pull out a folder that says Homework with a few doodle hearts. My fingers fumble inside the bag and I pull out a total of three binders. All of them are blank and yet need to be labeled.

I sigh and carefully stuff them back into my backpack until I spot my pencil bag. It looks a bit warn with it's fresh color of red with the outlining of blue. I unzip the bag to reveal approximately a dozen pencils and one pencil sharpener.

I ignore all of the pencils and pick up the pencil sharpener. The plastic case is black with shiny metal of the blades. I unscrew the bottom and pick off the tiny sharp object. I look down at it with no expression but with the 

feeling of hope and grief. My fingernail scraps off grey led for the satisfaction of cleaning it. Yet, I still don't smile.

Not tonight.

I look around me to make sure no one has seen me. I place the blade back in it's comfortable socket and screw it back together.

"Not tonight."