Chapter Three

My clouded eyes stare distantly at the floor as I sit at my desk very deep in thought.

"Sylvia?" Mrs. Pierce says.

My attention shoots towards her.

"Have you thought of what to write about?" Mrs. Pierce asks.

"What's the topic again?" I ask.

"'One of the biggest things that has changed my life'." Mrs. Pierce quotes.

"Right…" I trail. "Sorry, I was stuck in thought."

"Oh that's alright honey." Mrs. Pierce says and grins.

My mechanical pencil flips between my fingers in different spins as I began to concentrate.

Back at home, my dog helped me through everything. When my old friends left, he was there. His breed name is too complicated for me to remember but he was white and fluffy. He reminded me of a purified angel. Every time I snuggled up to him I instantly felt calmer and safer. His name was Henry and he's the one I miss most. Whenever I came home crying from school, Henry would greet me with his soft panting. Henry had the most beautiful smile even though it is said that dogs do not smile. No matter how badly I hurt, he would always make me chuckle and smile at him.

Henry was such a goofball.

Henry used to not bunk with me at night but once things changed it's the only place he wanted to be. Right by my side. As if we were the only sane ones in the household. What mostly goes through my head is that I'm the one going insane; but Henry reassured me somehow with his soft, pure appearance.

"Excuse me?" I say. "Mrs. Pierce?"

The english teacher with a pencil purposely stuck in her bun turns around and walks up to my desk.

"Yes?" She questions.

"Could I make it a poem?" I ask.

"Sure!" Mrs. Pierce praises clasping her hands together. "Any kind of writing is suitable."

"Okay, thank you." I grin up at her in relief and stare back down at the blank lined paper that lays in front of me.

Somehow, even after such a simply written poem from the edge of my pencil, a smile with fine white teeth is revealed from my heart.

"Mrs. Pierce?" I call once again.

"Yes?"

"I've finished my paper." I state holding it out to her.

"Oh! Wonderful!" Mrs. Pierce chirps snatching it away from my fingertips.

"I look forward to reading it Ms. Trace." She gives me a kindhearted small bow and returns to her desk. I sink back into my chair as I know she's reading it due to her lack of work to do.I see a smile expressed from her as she is zoned into my poetic passion. 

My shoulders are almost level with the top rim to back of the navy blue school chair as I twiddle even more intently with my mechanical pencil; as though it were the only important thing right now.

I peer over to the other students cautiously to see what they are doing. Some are staring down at their paper as they are most likely onto their second paragraph of their assigned essay. I felt the sudden urge to put my head down but I didn't want eyes burning through my body. My eyes flick back to my dark wooden desk when another pair of eyes connect with mine. For some reason I got the impression he was a jock.

After what I have time is twenty-five minutes, the teacher stands from her desk.

"Is everybody done with their paper?"