/Kapitel Eins/

His name is Kaneki Ken.

He is a ghoul. 

A disgrace. 

Humanity rejected them and they rejected humanity. 

Ghouls cause havoc and mayhem wherever they go. Some ghouls are more peaceful than others but the fact still remains...they eat humans.

The very idea of a human turning into a ghoul is unthinkable.

Of course that doesn't matter since that is what happened to Ken.

He doesn't understand himself what really caused this to happen to him. Some would say he is unlucky, that he is just the protagonist of a tragedy.

What he does know is that KamishiroRize's organs have made a drastic change to him.

Kamishiro Rize.

The girl that he had a crush on ended up being the very monster he was afraid of. That everyone was afraid of, for that matter.

"I want to escape. I want to leave. I want to die. I don't care just get me out of here," The boy thought alone in this checkered room.

A few days ago, he couldn't tell how many, he had been captured and tortured and beaten to a bloody pulp of insanity.

By a ghoul.

A ghoul named Jason.

Kaneki Ken had been in this room suffering endlessly. Why? Because he could not escape and he wasn't allowed to die.

The door opened and the ghoul he hadn't wished to meet was standing there. Of course the bookworm didn't lift his head. That wouldn't solve anything. There was only one person that could have been there. Only one.

Jason.

He said something to the black haired male. Something he couldn't register in his brain. 

He was tired, tired of this, tired of everything. 

At first it didn't matter what happened to him, as long as no one else was hurt. Now he was't so sure, he wouldn't be able to protect any one in this condition...

So the words that Jason had said went through one ear and out the other. He was probably just telling him to count.  'What's one-thousand minus seven?' the famous question he had been asked these recent days.

"993"

"986"

"979"

"972"

"965"

The sequence of the numbers had practically engraved themselves into his mind. He repeated the numbers, he clung to them as if hoping they would save him but they didn't.

Every day it was the same thing. Every. Single. Time. 

Jason would come in, torture him to the brink of sanity, and leave just before it grasped him. Then time would pass, he wouldn't know if it was a day or just five minutes, in any case it seemed like an eternity. 

Sitting alone in a room with nothing to occupy yourself but your own mind is not a simple thing.

He was now struggling to count. The pain was excruciating and he couldn't keep himself conscious much longer. Jason would just yell at him, telling him things that he didn't need to hear. Causing him to panic and struggle even more.

Kaneki Ken wasn't just a mouse being played with by a cat. He was a lost soul summoning a demon.

But the demon wouldn't come.

"I want to escape. I want to leave. Someone. Anyone. Help me leave this place," he thought.

The only thing he could do was thing after all. Even though it wouldn't help him. Nothing could help him. No one could help him. Not even the people he had come to know as friends. Why would Anteiku come to help? Why would they risk their lives to save him from this fate?

"Do you want to escape? Do you want to live? Why do you want to live? Is there anything worth living for here?" he heard a voice inside his head. It wasn't him thinking to himself but actually someone...or something talking to him.

"Yes I want to escape. Yes I want to live. Do I really need a reason?" he thought to them replying to their questions. Whoever 'they' were.

"If you really wanted to escape. You would have used your ghoul abilities. Surely you know how strong you are. Right? Ah, no matter. I will help you. I find you interesting so it is all okay,"  a large grin appeared behind Jason. 

If Kaneki hadn't been paying attention he might have mistaken it for a certain character in 'The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland', for the grin was exactly the same.

The teeth of the grin opened and inside was a cat. Not exactly a cat. It was a humanish-figure with cat ears and tail. 

"This can't be real...Is that actually a Cheshire Cat?"

The cat-human did a surprise attack at Jason with his long claws, making Jason fly across the checkered room.

The cat-human stepped out of the grin completely. He moved behind Kaneki and broke the chains that bonded him to that chair. 

Picking up the injured ghoul-human he walked into the grin and it shut leaving the torture room behind. Now they were in a endless pit of darkness.

"Where are you taking me?" was Kaneki's last thought before falling asleep. Something he hadn't done in a long time....

((A/N: So? How do you like the first chapter? It is kind of a ruff start but it'll get better...hopefully...*nervous laugh*....maybe.....*sweat drop*....just wish me luck...