Chapter 1

Tobias~

"Tobias, wait!" My mother shouts panting. I don't stop though. Lynn had just told us that Tris had been shot multiple times and is now in a coma. "Tobias, stop!" I slow my run into a fast paced walk to let her catch up to me.
"What?"
"I know that you need to see her. To see if she is ok, but you don't have to do it alone anymore. If she is like family to you then she is family to me. Ok?"
"Ok" I am now leaning against a wall looking down at my mother. Her eyes are wide and sympathetic. She really does mean it, she wants to be fully committed even if it means she has to befriend Tris. Before I know it she pulls me into an embrace that is strong yet comforting. I happily hug her back then take her hand. We both walk down the hallway and into the hospital.

When we reach the door to Tris' room I stop and feel light headed. What if she doesn't wake up? What if she wakes up and doesn't remember me from head injuries? "Hey, Tobias, it's ok. I'm right here for you and Tris." My mother coos. I slowly nod and enter, looking down at the door. I find my way to a chair and sit down while my mother sits on the couch across the room. I'm still finding the courage to look at her when I see her small yet strong hand. I cautiously move my hand to hold hers as if she were to bite it off once she woke. I gently squeeze and wait for her to return the gesture. Nothing. It just sits there limp and cold. I suddenly feel the urge to cry and try to resist, but just the sight of her hand is enough to over power my strength. One tear drops, two tears then a river starts to flow out of my eyes. Evelyn realises and comes over to comfort me. "She is a strong girl who loves you so much Tobias! She won't leave you and you won't leave her, so have hope my son. Give it some time."

I was in there for a few hours waiting and hoping like my mother said but I just want to feel her soft lips on mine, her scrawny but strong arms around my neck and the warmth of her blood flowing into her cheeks as I kiss her tattoos.
"Hello, my name is doctor Byrnes. I will be monitoring Tris and helping her to wake up." All I can do is nod.
"I'm Evelyn and this is my son Tobias. We are a part of Tris' family." My mother replies as she extends her hand to Dr Byrnes. They both go outside to discuss Tris' vitals and wounds. I just stay put next to Tris, occasionally touching my hand to her cheek and half expecting her to snuggle into it like she always does, but my hope of that dwindles every time she doesn't.

When visiting hours are over at 10:00pm I kiss Tris on the top of her head and lead my mother to our assigned apartment. It is on the top floor of the building because I knew Tris would like it, I just don't look out of the windows. We unpacked the few boxes of belongings and put them in their respectful places. I was unpacking one of my mothers boxes when I came across the blues glass sculpture. My first act of defiance against Marcus and placed it in the middle of our small dining table. It is the perfect size and reflects the light that seeps through our closed curtains. I just stand there for a while in awe of the object. I didn't notice before but my mother leans against the frame of the door way, just the way I do, and smiles. It still doesn't meet the edges of her eyes but it looks like the old mother I had in Abnegation. The mother who loved me, cared for me and taught me to appreciate good moments like these.

After washing the dishes we both go to our rooms to sleep but I can't. I can only imagine the way Tris' body would fit to mine as we slept together. I remember of all the good times we had together on the Ferris wheel and in the park, but then I remember all of the times I nearly lost her. This is by far the worst position because I can see her and feel her but I can't speak to her  or feel her the way I want to. I go to sleep at 3:00 am waking up in a startle every two hours or so from nightmares.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys, thanks for reading and comment if you like it. Also if you have any great ideas for me I will try to include them. Don't worry, I won't take the credit if it isn't my idea.

I don't own any of the character from the Divergent series or any of the settings. They are all Veronica Roth's.
C ya soon  xxxooo...