Chapter 40

Chapter 40 - Jezebel's POV

I was too overwhelmed by dizziness and apprehension to put up much resistance as Sebastian dragged me down hallways and around corners. Trying to take note of the way we'd come was pointless, because I was too busy keeping an eye out for Nikolai. Before I knew it, Dr Jennings opened another door, which was firmly shut the second Sebastian pulled me through.

The new room we'd entered looking like a sort of science lab with a large chair in the center, similar to one you sit in at the dentist. From where I stood, barely inside the room, I could see the restraint straps attached to the chair. There was no way I was sitting in that chair. Not of my own accord anyway.

"Go ahead and sit down, you'll be here a while," Dr Jennings waved in the direction of the evil looking chair.

I continued to eye the chair from across the room, but made no move to go and sit.

"He wasn't asking, he was telling you to take a seat. So sit," Sebastian ordered with an icy glare.

I couldn't tell if I was more scared of Sebastian or what would happen to me if I was strapped to that chair. The chair won and my feet stayed rooted to the floor.

"Look at it this way my dear," Dr Jennings offered from across the room, "If you go and sit there voluntarily there will be no need to use the restraints. However, if Sebastian has to physically force you into the chair then the restraints will be deemed necessary."

The doctor's words sunk in slowly like my mind was made of thick honey. I watched the doctor arrange some utensils on the bench he stood by, not bothering to look at me. No matter how I looked at the situation, no matter what angle I tried to spin my predicament, I was going to end up in the damn chair. Though I couldn't help but shake the feeling that being cooperative was as much a trap as being defiant.

Against every instinct in my body I chose to walk over and sit down in the chair. I kept my hands folded in my lap and well away from the restraints meant for your wrists. I forced myself to take long deep breaths, but it did little to slow my racing heart or quash my rising panic. I glanced over a Sebastian and shivered at his look of pure satisfaction in response to my submission.

My attention shifted back to Dr Jennings as he spoke, "I want to start with just a blood sample and an extensive conversation."

I recoiled as the doctor approached with the equipment needed to draw blood, "Absolutely not."

"Again, not asking," Sebastian spat and moved closer in case he had to quickly strap me to the chair. "Either you willingly let the sample be taken or I strap you to the chair and the sample will be taken anyway."

Dr Jennings nodded approvingly at his son, "It's up to you Jezebel. Whichever way, I'll get what I want."

I swallowed thickly, but again saw no way that I could win. I was probably better off pretending to be the good little captive and having my limbs unrestrained. At least that's what I told myself as I offered up my left arm for the doctor to take a blood sample from. Sebastian looked happy that I wasn't being difficult and watched on as Dr Jennings drew two vials of blood.

I, on the other hand, did not watch as two vials were filled with my blood. It wasn't just that I felt a little squeamish, it was more that I was worried I might do something stupid. Something stupid like pull the syringe out of my arm and stab Dr Jennings with it. Before I could act upon my increasingly crazy ideas Dr Jennings finished up by putting a small band aid on the spot where he'd drawn my blood. The doctor busied himself with the samples briefly, running a test on my blood I could only assume.

Sebastian walked over to hand me a cold juice box and a muesli bar, both of which I hadn't seen him get from anywhere. Until I had food and drink in my hands I hadn't realised how much I craved both. James's words echoed through my head. He'd thought they'd been drugging whatever they'd given him to eat and drink. So I hesitated, however irrational it may have seemed. Both things were in unbroken packages. That could be just what they want you to think, was what I told myself in my head.