Chapter Twenty Four

I took the stairs two at a time, exiting out onto the rooftop and immediately having to wrap my coat tight around my body, against the biting, cold wind. His silhouette seemed sculpted, against the city skyline, as he leant against the railings, his hands curled around the balustrades. Smoke was rising up into the snow filled sky, and for a moment, I could swear that everything was in black and white, like one of those old movies. 

   “I thought you’d be up here,” I said, as I crept up, perching on the brick wall besides him. “I didn’t realize you smoked,” I gestured to the cigarette he held in his fingers and he looked down, as if he too was surprised to see it there. 

   “It’s a bad habit, I know,” Gabriel grimaced, “but I don’t very often, just when I’m stressed.” 

   “Why are you stressed?” I asked, reaching out and taking the cigarette from him, taking a puff of the sweet tobacco before handing it back to him. 

   “My girlfriend nearly got raped, I think I’m allowed to be a little tense,” he said dryly, shooting me with a sideways grin before he took a final puff from the cigarette, stubbing it out on the red brick wall. 

   “On the other hand,” I shrugged slowly, letting my hair fall over one shoulder, “you’re here with me, and not miles away in California.” 

   “Christ,” Gabes seethed, “you’re right,” he looked down at his tattered boots, at the rubber peeling from the soles. “You would have been alright though, you would have had Henry.” 

   “I love Henry,” I agreed, nodding, “and I know that he will keep me safe, but he is not you.”

   “God, I wished we lived in the same city,” he uttered, wrapping his arms around me suddenly, and even though the smoke lingered, I didn’t mind, because I missed the way his muscles felt and his skin smelt like lavender. 

   “Me too,” I whispered, closing my eyes, my cheek pressed up against his chest. 

   “We have another three years of this,” Gabriel said flatly. 

   “I know,” the thought had haunted me too. “But we can manage, I know we can. I can visit you more often, speak every night, video call as soon as I get home from lectures. We can make it work, I know this.” 

   “There is no one else in this world I want to be with,” he assured me, leaning back and looking into my eyes earnestly, “but I understand that the distance is immense, and I cannot expect you to wait for me.”  

   “Are you being serious?” I laughed. “How could there be someone else on this planet more perfect for me than you. I have loved you since I was a child, Gabriel, the history we share cannot be replicated. We’ve lasted over ten years, a few more shouldn’t make much of a difference.” 

   “You’re right, you are,” he concurred, turning back to the city and peering over the edge of the building, down the twenty stories to the sidewalk. He swung his head, massaging the knots in his shoulders and exhaling deeply. I began to frown and tucked my legs up to my chest, watching him curiously, a little concerned. 

   “You don’t seem happy.” 

   “I am happy,” Gabriel beamed at me, but the smile faded quickly. 

   “I can see it, behind your eyes. Don’t think you can fool me for a moment, Fitzgerald.” 

   “It’s just family stuff,” he gulped and rubbed at his eyes, making them a little red. “Sometimes I can’t bear to be around them, sometimes I just wish I had never stayed in California,” he pulled his beanie hat lower down over his head, trying to shield his ears from the frost.