Chapter Nine

Hey everyone! This chapter was a little harder to write, which is why it took me a little longer...not to mention my computer crashed and I had to start all over again!!! This one is a little longer, and I'd seriously urge you to listen to the song at the side for reasons which will become obvious later on...also, this chapter totally indulges in my love of music, so I mention quite a few bands that I'm a fan of (go listen to them now!) Another thing!! There's a few new characters here, and one of them may or may not be called Edward...this is not because of my love of Edward Cullen...I just like the name. So, get on and read! And leave me a lovely comment if you liked it :D xxxxx

____________________________________________________________________________  

   I pulled out a pair of tie dye leggings and wriggled them over my slim legs, yanking them up until the elastic was resting against my waist. Next, I slipped on a black crop top, before grabbing a sheer, black shirt from my wardrobe, fastening the buttons all the way up to the collar. I hung a delicate, silver chain around my neck, which had a tiny peace sign pendant, and grabbed a handful of rings from my jewelry box, carelessly slipping one onto almost every finger. I checked my makeup in my dressing table mirror, brushing an eyelash from my smooth cheek, before grabbing my pair of scuffed Converse sneakers and stepping into them. I stood in front of the mirror and cocked my head to one side, biting on my bottom lip as I considered the outfit I had put together. 

   I needed to make a good impression tonight, this was going to be the first time the band saw me, and I wanted them to see that I could represent them, that I was good enough. In my mind, if I looked like a producer for a young, new band, they’d believe I could be a producer for their young, new band. It was all about confidence. 

   “Rem!” I shouted, “Are you ready to go?” I continued to gather stuff together, stuffing my phone and purse and keys into a small satchel before hanging it over my shoulder. I started flicking through my wardrobe and pulled out my leather jacket, slipping it on before hurrying down the hall to Remy’s room.  

   She had painted one of the walls dark purple, while the others remained bare, red brick. There were photos of California pinned up all around the room and books from her college classes arranged in piles by the bed and desk. Instead of a wardrobe, she kept her clothes in an old chest in the corner of the room, although there were a few more delicate items hanging off of window sills and the back of her door. 

   “I’m nearly there,” Rem was crouching down by a full length mirror, applying a final layer of lip gloss to her already rouged, and pouting lips. She smacked them together and pretended to kiss her reflection before combing her fingers through her straight, blonde hair and straightening out her block fringe. “Okay! I’m ready,” she grinned up at me before checking her appearance once more in the mirror, rubbing a lipstick mark off of a tooth and following me out into the living room. 

   “Wow!” Henry let out a low, rumbling chuckle, leaning back on the sofa and stretching his arms out behind his head. “I have to say girls,” he glanced at us over his shoulder and blinked slowly, his eyes bloodshot and tired, “those New Yorkers have got nothing on my Cali girls.” 

   “Nawww,” I cooed, smoothing my hands across the shiny, lycra material of my leggings, “thanks, Hen.” I went to the window and peered out onto the streets, the rain spattering down onto the asphalt and forming puddles of water in the dips between the curb and the road. Rain was trickling down the glass panes and the streetlights were illuminating this side of the building, forming shadows of water droplets against my tanned skin. 

   “How are we getting there?” Rem asked, as she stood by the door, pulling on a pair of mega high, black stilettos and tottering back over to the sofa, perching on the end of the couch and playing with Henry’s fingers.