Chapter 3 - "4 Years..."

Clara's PoV

'Mr Smith. Good morning' Allen said as he sat at John's desk and smiled politely.

'Hi. What can I do for you?' John asked confused and intrigued all at the same time.

'I have a proposition for you. You've been running this wing of the company here in Chicago for over 3 and a half years now? Well I was wondering how you would feel about a promotion?' He suggested.

'A promotion?'

'Running a whole company by yourself. You'd be the boss of the company in that location. You'd deal with meetings and pay checks and employees. I think your definitely up for the job' he smiled.

'I would love too. That sounds great... Could I keep Richard on as my assistant?'

'It would be your company - you can do what you like' he shrugged, but John could sense in his voice that there was a catch.

'What's the catch?' John asked with narrowed eyes.

'Who says there's a catch?'

'I know you Allen. What's the catch?' He asked again - actually demanded - with a raised eyebrow.

'The company is in London'

'London? Oh wow. Okay. That's a bit of a travel to work every morning' John joked.

'It's entirely up to you but you realise there is no chance of promotion here at our Chicago base and you transferred from our London base so you know a lot about it' he shrugged.

'Yeah. I know. It's not that. It's just I've got my Kids to think about' John sighed, but really wanted that promotion.

'We've thought about that and you can work here right up until the end of August. We realise you'll want time to plan for your kids - a house and schools, so we figured you could leave and start up in September. It will be good for the whole family'

'In going to need some time to think about it' John huffed. 'Let me speak to some people' John said.

'Where do you want the Cake Mr Smith?'

'I'll take that. I'm leaving now anyway' John said taking the box out of Joanne's hand and headed for the door.

'Special occasion?' Allen asked.

'Yeah. It's my Daughters 4th birthday' John said heading out to the car where he placed the cake in the boot.

This was one heck of a decision he had to make and one that he couldn't pass up.

Allen was right when he said that a month is plenty of time to sort out somewhere to live and a school to go to. Plus it was just in time for the girls to start school properly, so they were probably at the right age to move them.

John sighed slamming his head on the steering wheel. 'What the Fuck do I do?'

- - -

John straightened his tie as he opened the car door at the kindergarten school where both his girls went.

Neither of them are in proper school yet, both just in pre-school and kindergarten.

This was a special day for John because he rarely showed his face around the school - mainly because he works 8 till 8 most days. He barely gets any time with his Daughters.

That's one thing that he had to think about - by being the boss - he could set his own hours - have people do things for him and always be able to pick his kids up from school.

But moving to London came with its complications.

Complications that John didn't even have time to think about right now.

'Mr Smith. Been a while since we've seen your face around here' Miss Bree smiled, as John stepped into the air conditioned room, still dressed in his suit and tie from work.

'Well it's Evelyn's birthday and I did promise' he smirked.

'I know. She's spoke of nothing else all day. She's very excited that your picking her up today' Miss Bree smiled.

She pitied him for being a single Father and it was one of those looks that John couldn't stand to see. He didn't care what other people thought of him - all he cares about was that he was doing the best for his kids... And it made him wonder if a move to London would be a good or bad thing?

It might be both.

'Good to hear' he chuckled, stepping around Miss Bree and spotted his two girls playing at the sand station. He felt almost guilty for ruining their play, but as soon as Evelyn spotted him, in the doorway there was no way she wasn't going to run at him, and he was ready and waiting arms open for her to jump in.

'Daddy, Daddy, Daddy' she squeaked, as she jumped up and straight into his open arms, and he picked her up effortlessly, resting her in his arms, and kissing her forehead.

'Hey Toad. How's it going?' He asked pushing her long brown - and frankly rather uncontrollable brown hair - out of her face and looked into her deep brown eyes.

It was amazing to him sometimes how much these two girls looked like Clara.

They looked practically identical these days and they are so close in age that unless you knew then you'd just assume they were twins. Both supporting Clara's mud brown eyes and brown hair.

Avia's hair was a little lighter - more like John's - but still like Clara's in every way.

'I want to drive in your car' she said nestling her head into the crook of his neck, and wrapping her chubby little hands around his neck not wanting to ever let go.

'Well your in luck because Daddy has bought his car with him - and he even remembered your car seats this time' he said as he noted Avia's arms around his leg.

He stroked her head and then crouched down to kiss it as he dropped Evelyn to the floor. 'Go and find your book bags and we'll get going. Daddy's got somewhere special to take you both'

'Where are we going Daddy?' Avia asked in her what John likes to call "attitude" voice.

'Well it wouldn't be a special surprise if I told you now would it? Go and get your bags' he instructed again, as Evelyn was already gripping John's rather much bigger hand than hers and pulling him desperately towards the car park.

He watched as Avia crossed to the other side of the car and climbed into her seat and chuckled as Evelyn struggled to open the car door - being so tiny but demanded that she was 4 years old today and that she wanted to open the door herself.

He buckled them both in and they were so excited to be in his car. John never picks them up from school and never really takes them out in his work car, so this was a treat in itself for them.

'Where are we going Daddy?' Evelyn asked in a squeak voice.

'Well we're going home, but I've got a few surprises waiting for you both there' he chuckled, as the continued to be mesmerised by the idea of John being there and with them for the entirety of the car journey home.