M'lady (Part 2)

Cracked, but never broken.

As weeks graduated into months and months flowed into years, Ohiland returned to a once again stable empire. The community continued to grow as it should under the leadership of the royals. As a now grown, separated family, the previously young and naive generations were rising into their paved destinies.

The exact time lapse had been around 7 years; the royal brothers were well into their adult lives and the former queen gracefully began to approach old age with a new decade. More infant family members occupied Ohiland left and right as evolution grew more prominent. Natural changes developed slowly, too slow for anyone to notice. But if one sat and thought about it for a moment, any citizen, they would all come to realize how fast these years have went by.

This was the decade of maturing for Prince Mark and Prince Thomas as an all powerful team running a small government. Many of their past concerns were proven nonsensical, they worried about their inner capabilities lacking or the community not accepting or respecting them as rulers. All were rectified. Once reality finally touched them, their mother knew it would be the key to them ruling their kingdom smoothly. After all, weakness is doubt, strength is confidence.

But there was one thing that seemed a bit strange to their mother as she watched up close and personal from the sidelines her sons dictate Ohiland.

While yes, they'd unveiled the underlying power she and their father always knew was there, something was off. Something was unusual, and she for one, didn't understand it. Normally following the passing of a Monarch, it's globally customary for the eldest heir to be soon, if not immediately crowned. However both brothers chose to remain in their positions as Princes for this entire time, which the resigned Queen found odd. To her, Thomas should've been crowned King a long time ago and found a queen by now. Technically as it stood, Ohiland had no high rulers, which could be taken as a representation of sloppiness and poor stability.

She roamed the main level of the castle, her swift footsteps audible across the porcelain floor, smooth without a scratch, as it had been for over 40 years. Though her crown was absent she still wore her Queen's dress of red velvet and gold details, embroidered with designs inspired by her native country around the edges with white lace. She had it tailored with her wedding dress years ago when she was just preparing to become King Fischbach's queen.

The fact she still wore it with such pride and nobility made him smile in the sky, even knowing she was queen no longer.

On her way outside she passed by the grandiose kitchen where noisy racket of pots and pans clanking disturbed the air. She peeked in curiously and saw the chefs working like clockwork to prepare lunch for everyone. A known aroma decorated the room - bread, freshly baked. The sweet smell paired with strong spices and herbs made her majesty's mouth water.

"What's on the menu?" She asked in an announcing voice, her choppy Korean accent making the staff's heads rise up.

A chef rushed over and quickly bowed before her. "We're preparing roasted venison with a side of carrots and peppers served with fresh baguettes. Does that sound alright, Madam?"

Her hand subconsciously made circles over her stomach as she bowed in return, "Sounds great. I go tell Mark and Tom it's almost mealtime, yes?"

"Yes please, lunch should be served in less than half an hour." She then scurried away toward the center sitting room just off of the dining room. The heavy blue castle doors were cracked open allowing the afternoon sunlight to peak in through one side. She carefully slid through and held the corners of her dress where it split from a fitted top to a long flowing bottom.