Chapter 5 - Foes & Four Square

Liam girls, I will warn you up front: Sad times ahead. Just letting you know.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Liam’s POV)

“Hurry up!” Niall complained. “I wanna play again, before recess is over!”

“It’s your fault. If you had got back in time you wouldn’t be out,” Louis said.

“Too bad there aren’t five squares instead of four,” I commented.

“It’s more fun with four; if all of us could play then it wouldn’t be a challenge.”

“Pay attention!” Harry called. “I’m about to throw the ball.”

Harry surveyed all of us, no doubt trying to see who he could get out of the game. Eventually he threw the rubber ball, bouncing it off of my square. I ran after it, aware of my friends counting down from ten. When I was almost able to grab the ball, I tripped over something and fell flat on my face.

“Ouch…” I groaned as I turned over. Looking up, I saw that I didn’t trip over something, but instead I’d tripped over someone.

It was Jordan, a Hispanic boy in Mrs. Allan’s class with me. His two best friends, Bobby and Derek, were on his sides. I didn’t really like them; they were always really mean to the kids in our class.

“Look, it’s Loser Liam,” Jordan said.

“Leave me alone, Jordan,” I replied, my eyes on the ground. I could feel tears stinging at them, and I could see the blood on my scraped-up hands, but I didn’t want him to see that I was sad.

“Aw, did da baby get huwt?” Bobby asked, talking to me like I was a baby. It just made me want to cry more.

Then I heard something that made me smile.

LEAVE HIM ALONE!” all of my friends yelled at once, running over to me.

“Jordan! Why are you messing with Liam?” Louis demanded.

“We weren’t messing with him,” Jordan said, but they knew he was lying. They probably saw the whole thing happen.

Looking at all of my friends, I smiled really big, but then I noticed that Niall was missing.

“Hey, where’s—” but just as I began to ask, Niall came into view, the recess monitor right behind him.

“…and he just tripped Liam! See?” Niall finished explaining and pointed at me.

“I didn’t do anything!” Jordan insisted, turning red.

The monitor walked over to me and crouched down. “Liam, did Jordan trip you?” she asked me. I nodded, showing her my bloody hands. She surveyed them before looking at Jordan and shaking her head disappointedly. “That wasn’t nice, Jordan. Come on. We’re going to the office. Liam, you come too; you need to go to the nurse.”

“Okay,” I said, and Harry and Zayn helped me up.

“Thanks, guys,” I said to all of my friends before I left.

Zayn patted my shoulder. “We’ve got your back, Liam.”

I smiled at him before walking off with the recess monitor. As I walked off, I faintly heard Niall say, “So can I play now?” That made me smile bigger.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello, civilians! I'm sorry if I broke your heart and/or feelings at any point today, but if you enjoyed becoming an emotional husk, let me know! And thanks so much for all of the likes and comments I already have! I just thought that I'd say that since it feels like I haven't in a while. I'm seriously thanful for everything. I will see you later!