Hearts On Fire

Everything happened in one night.

Earlier that day, after talking to him for a couple of weeks then, he texted me to meet him that night, giving no reason why. When I asked him, he responded to say that he would explain later.

I  remember waiting for him to arrive that night, the moon lighting up the whole street. The cold air hit every part of my body, even though it was the middle of July. Nerves soon started to build up in my chest, feeling afraid of what would happen. I had known him for years, but I only really had gotten to know him that last couple of weeks. Even then, I didn't really know that much about him. Who knew what went on in that head of his.

Soon after darkness had fallen, a car drove up beside the footpath. Immediately, I recognised that it was his friend's car. The passenger seat door opened, and surely enough, he stepped out. Suddenly, his dark brown eyes instantly caught mine, but I turned away. The nerves had now moved from my chest and were now controlling every part of my body. I could even feel my hands beginning to shake. Fear couldn't even describe what I was feeling that night.

As his friend drove off, he opened his lips to speak, telling me everything that was going on in his life. During these endless stories, I longed to say something, either to reply or to go on about mine, but I was just too scared to say anything. If I even dared to even open my mouth, nothing would come out. If I tried, it would've been a whisper, or even a squeak.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, he turned to me and said, "There's something about your eyes. I can't stop thinking about them. They're like something that I've never seen before,"

Frozen on the spot, I finally looked at him for the first time. I could feel myself falling internally, caught in every word he said.

I'm so gone right now, I thought at I felt my cheeks burning red. And he knew it too. He could've knocked me down if he wanted to. One more look at me and he could've burned me down.

For the next hour that I spent with him, it was almost as if my heart wasn't normal. Almost as if it was on fire. It lit up the night, it's shine brighter than the moon. And suddenly, all the fear I had earlier disappeared. It was left behind. We were running for our lives like we'd never die. It felt as if magic was in the air, leading us on our way.

But soon enough, something took it's place. Undeniable doubt. Uncertainty. Even the fear found it's way back to me. Underneath his charm, his laugh and his smile, I could feel that he wasn't what I thought. I tried to convince myself that I was only overthinking these things, but they kept coming back. It felt wrong to be with him, but I somehow, it made me want to be with him longer, with our hearts on fire.

At some points, I couldn't even breath around him. He was like a shooting star, crossing the night sky. I could feel my inner thoughts telling me that he'd soon burn out. That he wouldn't last. But I couldn't see that far. The only thing that I could see was the sparks that could only be seen if you took a closer look at his eyes. The sparks contained excitement and happiness and could've turned into fireworks if he really felt euphoric.

I knew I couldn't stand a chance. It was a long way down either way, but I was determined to hold on. Even if this was all we could have. Like whenever I was talking, I could see him flash that smile at me. It caused my heart to leap out of my chest, but somehow I didn't mind. I don't think I will ever forget him. Everything about him made me feel something that I'd never felt before, and I could never deny it.

As I walked home that night, when we both made our separate ways, thoughts whizzed all around my mind. Repeatedly in my mind, I found myself saying;

He was freedom. He was magic.

And he was. Until everything changed.

After that night, it felt as if there never anything between us. All the intense feeling of romance and feeling of security went before my very eyes. Feeling lost, I texted him a couple of days later, asking him if he was ok. That next day, he had replied, saying something that pierced me:

I need space.

Then I really felt as if I was on fire. It was tragic. I knew then that he had lost interest in me. He broke my walls down, but instead of leading me to safety, he broke me down in the process. And suddenly, sparks began flying all around, signalling that this really was the end. What we had was no entirely gone. Never to be relived.

But no matter what, I could never forget that night. How our hearts lit up the night and left the terrifying thoughts behind. Feeling like we'd never die.

How everything felt magical. But despite the happiness I felt with him, I knew I couldn't have him. And sure enough, I didn't. We were just so close, it's tragic. We felt the burn of our hearts on fire...

Our hearts on fire. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's Hearts On Fire. I tried my best! Will be doing I'm A Mess soon.

Evie x