Before October's Gone

"... I miss you. It's been so long since we last hung out and talked. Call me when you get this... bye,"

That was the last time he ever left me a voicemail. September, the month before everything went downhill.

Our late night phone calls went from over an hour to ten minutes in less then than a week. Every minute that was lost made the night longer. I remembered looking at the time one night, sitting in bed, waiting for him to reply to the endless texts I'd been sending him all day, knowing that he'd normally answered by now. It read 1:10am. The week before, we would be still in conversation, via text or phone call. Now, I had barely gotten a word from him. Then I saw him with her the following day.

"I miss you,"

The words from his voicemail were still on repeat. The first time I heard those words sing through the phone, I felt as if I was so special to him. I felt like the only one he was saying this to, until I later realised that he never meant any word.

"Call me when you get this... bye,"

I bet he doesn't remember ever leaving that voicemail. Probably the last thing on his mind. It was only a message to him, but to me, it was all I had left of him. Everything else had rotted away. It was the only thing that I could remember him by.

Maybe sometimes things just have to end. Not everything can go on forever to be honest. There's no explaining why  either. Whenever there's a beginning, there has to be an ending too. It's just how it goes. But he really could've let me know he'd be moving on before October had ended.

That same week that he stopped replying to my texts, there were so many rumours floating around about him. My friends had told me every last one a hundred times, but I refused to believe them. I never recalled him ever mentioning a girl. I didn't really think about it too much. Rumours normally weren't true.

That was the day after when we sat there on my drive way. Talking about our lives and what was on our minds in that present moment in time. And then he suddenly blurted out: "I could listen to you all night,"

It felt so real. My heart was beating out of my chest. But he was the boy that never meant it and I was the girl who took everything the wrong way.

But the once lied rumours turned into true stories. It turned that there was a girl. That girl I saw him was the one I thought I was. They made it official that December, piercing my heart and causing it to break in half. He knew I was naive and had gotten the better of me. He knew I would fall for everything he said and did. But if he never liked me, why did he do this to me?

After endless weeks of not hearing from him, one October night he texted me to meet up with him. I knew I needed answers from him. So I went, but I constantly felt that he was trying to push me away. When I told him that I had to go, he didn't even try to make me stay. Somehow, I didn't mind. It had become so awkward between us. He had become so cold now, like the snow in Minnesota.

Somehow, at the back of my mind, towards the end, I knew that we would end up this way. If we ever had gotten together, it wouldn't have been right. But I do hope he feels happy someday. I only wanted him to tell me what he really felt about me. Explain to me what was going on. Put me out of my misery and confusion. But now that's on the list of things he never did.

Shortly after they made it official, I saw them together, looking as happy as we were together. Before everything went wrong. The sadness came back. My heart felt broken once more. But I knew things had to end. And there was no explaining why. He never told me why he wanted to end things.

I watched them leave the crowded street behind. They didn't see me at all. But why would they want to see me? I was the least of their troubles. He didn't want to see me anymore and she was now more important in his life.

As they walked off into the distance, I looked at them sadly, but my mouth opened to whisper something. Something that only I could hear:

"You could've let me know you'd be moving on before October's gone,"

----------------------------------------------

So that's Before October's Gone. This one was the hardest to write so far, as there are so many one shots for this song. I hope you like this one.

I Like It coming soon!

Evie x