"Warming Back Up."

"Not even trying to sound rude, but. . . What are you doing here? Thought ya hated me?"

Christen flashed an innocent smile and gave a small nod of her head, avoiding eye contact by looking down at the ground.

"I mean, I thought I did. . . But I really don't think that I could ever hate you."

Kelley just kind of stood there; those certainly weren't the words that she was expecting to hear come from the striker. She was expecting something like Christen realizing that the whole wrist thing was all Kelley's fault and handing over her hospital bill. But, no. Was this about to be an apology?

'There's no way. . . It was my fault. Why would she be the one to apologize?'

"I just. . . Have really missed hanging out with you lately. I miss us, Kelley."

Kelley shook her head in an attempt to try and bring herself back to reality.

'Did she really just say that?'

Christen looked at Kelley through hopeful eyes. She wanted everything to go back to normal. . . Even if Julie wouldn't approve.

Snapping herself back to reality, the defender tried to speak, though her words came out through a cracking voice, "Yeah, I've missed hanging out with you too, Press."

The smile that Christen was all too famous for had managed to creep on to the forward's lips, becoming even more hopeful than before.
"So. . . Wanna go practice with me? You know, as long as you promise not to break any more of my limbs?"

Kelley playfully rolled her eyes and let out a few laughs, softly punching Christen's arm.

"That sounds great and all, but. . ."

Kelley paused, and Christen tilted her head to the side slightly, a bit confused as to what Kelley could possibly be doing. With furrowed eyebrows, Christen spoke back up,
"But, what?"

The defender cleared her throat, and looked down at the ground,
"I was supposed to hang out with Hope today."

And just like that, the aching pain in her chest came right back to Christen, though she hid it behind a smile.

She always hid it behind that smile.

**Author's Note**
Hey! I've really been slacking lately. But, nonetheless, here's a pretty short chapter that I threw together. Longer chapters will be up soon.
Sorry for the inconvenience. 😅💗🐿