Mr. Romantic

Summary: After a milestone weekend, Chris surprises Natalia. Only Natalia doesn't know how to react...

Dedicated to YOU, yes you, the one reading. Thank you so much for being here! xo

——————————————————————-

"Uh, Miss Rodriguez..."

Without turning her back from the chalkboard, too engrossed on the day's lesson plan of the three different kinds of galaxies – Spiral, Elliptical, and Irregular –, Natalia answered one of her students absentmindedly, "Yes, Taylor?"

"Why is Captain America waving outside the door...?"

The piece of white chalk fell to the floor, leaving the meaning of the tuning fork diagram unfinished and forgotten.

"W-what?" Nat stammered, wild eyes flashing towards the door to her classroom.

With her heart pounding in her chest, a blush crept up her neck to her full cheeks. Because, just like her student had announced, Captain America – Chris, to her – really was standing on the other side of the shut door, peeking through the glass.

When Chris noticed he had finally grabbed her attention after a couple lengthy minutes, his face lit up like a Christmas tree and a sheepish grin overtook his features. Hi, he mouthed with another short wave.

Nat's palms begin to sweat nervously and her breathing became labored, eyes widening like a deer in headlights. She didn't mouth back her own greeting, she didn't even offer him a wave in return; she simply just stared at him like a dazed, confused mess.

What was he doing here?

"Holy shit, it really is Chris Evans!"

"How do you know Chris Evans?!"

"....he's staring at her with hearts for eyes...?"

"Miss Rodriguez!"

"He is soooooo hot!"

Commotion filled the Science room, most of the students starstruck (no pun intended). But their interest was instantly piqued as to why he was there and how their quirky teacher seemed to evoke a reaction from the actor just by locking eyes.

"Um," Natalia's attention flicked to her students after a few more moments. They were all staring at her with bemused expressions, impatiently waiting for answers. "Crap. Guys, just, uh, just give me a second, okay?"

"Ooooooooh..."

She shot them a warning glare, pointing at the entire class with her finger. "Don't even. Embarrass me and Pop Quiz Monday will easily turn into Pop Quiz Monday through Friday."

Threatening did nothing, as she had suspected. They knowingly grinned at her, some still ooohing and making smooching noises while others giggled at their classmates juvenile behavior.

"Punks," Natalia murmured, taking large, quick steps towards her patiently waiting boyfriend.

"Hi," Chris greeted when she opened the door and stepped out, slightly breathless.

Natalia finally returned his smile, albeit a bit shaky, and shut away the noise that was escalating inside her class. "Hi. What're you doing here?"

He held up a bouquet of flowers, lifting a shoulder in a half-shrug. "Came to give you these."

"Oh...thank you?" Her eyes were wide, falling on the gorgeous arrangement, the rainbow of colors staring up at her. "How'd you find my room?"

"The main office let me know your room number."

She looked up in a different kind of surprise. "They let you roam the halls without an escort?"

He grinned, smugly. "Well, I happen to be Captain America, you know."

Natalia let out a short laugh, more like a puff of amused air. "Right, hotshot."

"So...do you like the flowers or..."

"Um yeah," she swallowed. "Of course."

"You don't seem so sure..." Chris's smile faltered at her lack of enthusiasm. "Was me showing up here a bad idea? Shit, it was a bad idea. Fuck, I'm an idiot. I'm sorry-"

The paralyzing surprise vanished the moment Chris started to talk a mile a minute, Natalia finally finding her voice. She placed a reassuring hand on his bicep, an inaudible dreamy sigh slipping past her parted lips at how much muscle she found there. "No, no, no. I'm sorry.. I'm just...a bit confused."

"Okay, confused," Chris nodded vigorously, eyes searching for further clarification. "Confused, bad? Confused, good?"

Natalia pulled a face and let out a light laugh. "I don't know! I mean, I guess good. I just...I don't understand why you couldn't have sent them, y'know, instead."

Chris swallowed, feeling more vulnerable than ever. Speaking softly, he explained, "I...wanted to see you. I missed you."

Natalia melted at the spot. "Aw, babe."

"I mean, I - uh," he scratched the back of his head with his free hand, bowing his head to look at the flowers as if they held some kind of answer. "Well, I had the best time with you this weekend...And, and I guess the reality of Monday morning – being without you – it just...I just really missed you, y'know. Oh, shit, man," He tipped his head back and barked a laugh. "this is a little embarrassing."

"Please," she whispered, squeezing his arm in a silent request for him to look at her.

Chris complied and was greeted by her dazzling smile and glistening eyes. It did nothing to calm the erratic beat of his heart.

"Don't be embarrassed. That was really sweet. I'm sorry for my shit reaction. And I- I should admit that, yeah.." A grin spread wide on her face. "I missed you, too, Chris."

"You did?" He asked, not quite believing it. After all, she had yet to accept the flowers.

She playfully smacked his arm. "Of course I did! This weekend was amazing. Everything about it. The best Valentine's I've had in a long time, or ever, really."

His mouth curved up, the deep affection for her etched across his face. "For me, too, baby."

Natalia cocked her head to one side and wrinkled her nose, taking on a shy demeanor. "Yeah?" She softly asked.

Chris mirrored her, then said, "yeah," in a voice that was slightly above a whisper.

The bright smiles on their faces couldn't have gotten any bigger. Natalia stepped forward, then stretched up on her toes to place a tender kiss on his soft, full lips, plucking the bouquet out of his grasp in the process.

"Thank you, again. They're beautiful, baby; I love them."

"I love you," he blurted, reaching for her free hand to hold in his.

The words were still new, coming off a weekend where they were first confessed. Hearing it from his mouth created shivers, goosebumps forming on her skin. Her heart was so full, full of love for this incredibly romantic guy that had recently reentered her life.

"I love you, too," she said, voice strong and firm; just like her love for him.

Chris tugged on her hand, pulling her closer until she was flush against him, crumbling the flowers that he had been careful not to disarray the whole trip to the school. Then, he captured her lips in a more heated tangle, unable to be away from the taste of the sweet words that rolled off her tongue any longer.

Neither one of them paid any attention to the hoots and hollering that were booming in sound behind the closed door. Maybe it was because no noise was louder than the galloping of their hearts, pressed together as one.