{The Beginning}

A brilliant glow filtered down from the heavens casting beams of light through the landscape of clouds above. Blurs of creamy whites, soft pinks and refreshing blues melded together creating a peaceful haze all around me. 

My heart surged with a foreign warmth that I never knew I could feel. Everything felt so comfortable, so right. An inviting hand of pure light beckoned me forward. A halo of white curls framed and cascaded down either side of her pale face, creating a breathtaking glow around her head. Her skin was milky and smooth, unmarked or blemished. I felt like I belonged here, that I could stay in this paradise for forever beside the holy spirit that invited me closer. Her face was hidden behind a thin veil that my sleepy eyes could not pierce. It felt familiar to reach out my hands toward her, to offer her embrace. My tentative fingers extended to gently grasp her curved fingertips, but as soon as they brushed cold hands grasped at my robes and skin. The unknown foes forced me below the surface of the rolling clouds and into the rage of the crashing sea. The waves of water were at war with each other, thunder was clapping and lighting was flashing. Freezing ice held me captive beneath the swaying waters. My lungs ached with the need to breath, yet had no air to greedily consume. I yearned for my angel to save me. I wordlessly cried and screamed for her as water sloshed and filled my throat.

I was stolen, dragged away...

        Something didn't feel right. The soft mattress that cushioned my body was familiar, although instead of the usual night dress I wore, there was a different, more itchy material that scratched at my skin. I had fallen asleep in my day clothes again, but that wasn't where the nagging feeling was coming from. 

        Nothing was amiss within the confines of the cobble stone room. Warm decorations coloured deep reds, fiery oranges and bright yellows brought life to the room. Paintings depicting beautiful scenes still hung in their places upon the walls and the brightly coloured pillows were wrinkled slightly from being used throughout the night. 

        The chamber was oddly silent. No snores echoed from the stone walls. I snuggled into the soft blankets, cocooning myself into the remaining warmth my blankets offered me before I had to wake. A low groan escaped my parched throat, cracking through the stale morning air. I forced myself to swallow, wetting my dehydrated tongue. I wondered whether I should bask and enjoy a rarely peaceful slumber or investigate as to why such a rare occurrence was happening. I rolled onto my side, the blankets were carelessly kicked aside. Cold. I frowned. Did Silver mention that she had something to do this morning? I thought quizzically. Usually, it would be another hour before she would wake. 

        A putrid smell filtered through the open window, interrupting my thoughts. I wrinkled my nose in disgust and made my way toward the outer wall. I drew the blowing curtains back and abruptly shielded my eyes from the blinding sunlight. A baleful sense of foreboding took hold of my thoughts and washed over me. I squinted to catch a glimpse as to what was causing such a ruckus outside. 

        Columns of smoke billowed high into the sky outside the window. People scurried about the streets, some fleeing and others carrying pales full of water. My eyes widened and an audible gasp escaped my breathless lips.

        As soon as the shock faded, I scrambled to my dresser, slinging my coat over my shoulder and grabbing my sheathed sword from it's surface. The bright yellow vase beside it teetered precariously before shattering upon the wooden floorboards. Shards of porcelain littered the floor and crunched underfoot in my mad dash. I prayed to the gods that Silver would be alright and if she was, that she wouldn't kill me for breaking her great aunt's antique vase.