Chapter One: Therapy

I laid in my room, my eyes on the wall. I could hear my father talking downstairs. He was having his in-house therapy sessions with people. My dad was a high class therapist. He's dealt with famous people. He's dealt with people from Teen Mom, to people from famous bands. He once worked with Tyson Ritter from All American Rejects. The best thing about all of this? I could hear their conversations from my room.

I guess it's kind of creepy and I don't always listen in. It's kind of rude. But when I'm bored, it's the closest thing to a reality TV show. 

"And what do you think fuels your anger?" asked my father's voice. I rolled my eyes. These are the same lines he feeds me while I'm just talking about school. I mean, I was a senior this year at school, and it's supposed to be the best year of my high school career, and so far it was absolute shit. Anyways, I was older than all the others, seeing how my dad moved a lot when I was in kindergarten, so I had to take the year again. So I was nineteen. I sighed and listened for the response. 

"I...I'm not sure." the voice sounded tentative. Who was this guy again? I remember him saying his name was Bruce or something like that...was that his first name? His last name? I wish I could see him. "Maybe it's...I don't know..." he trailed off again. I sighed and glanced at the clock. Dad was not paying attention to the time, as always. When he worked with his clients, he always went at least thirty minutes over time and never charged them for more. He said they were trying to get help, and helping them sure as hell was not taking their money. 

I adjusted my shirt and stared in the mirror. My makeup was decent. My bright purple top was hanging loosely against my skin and my leggings clung to my thighs. I sighed and rolled my eyes. I was going to make dinner. Again. 

I pounced down the steps and nearly tripped. I landed easily on my feet like a cat and sprung up. I could hear the faint chitter from my dad's office. 

"Jordyn?" called my dad's voice. This was normal. Sometimes, he called me in while he had clients so I could get them a glass of water, or something. I walked over to my dad's office and opened the door. 

"Yeah?" 

"Could you get Ben and I some water, please?" he asked kindly. I nodded, not looking at the other person slumped on the couch, and walked out of the room. So his name was Ben, eh? Ben Bruce? That named sounded familiar. I grabbed two cups and filled it with ice water. When I came back into the room, the man, Ben, was now on his phone, muttering to himself. I handed my dad a glass and then handed Ben a glass. 

Ben had scraggly hair that went to his shoulders. He had spider-bite piercings in his lip and his eyes were a pale-ish looking color. Ben glanced up and thanked me casually. I nodded and then turned to my dad. 

"I'm going to start making dinner." I told him. My dad nodded. A lot of the time, my Dad invited his clients to stay for dinner. Some say no, like the females. They think he's going to rape them or something. We've had some people stay too. Most of them were band members. One time, Ashley Purdy stayed for dinner. I think that was one of my greatest moments of life. 

"Ben, you're more than welcome to stay for dinner." My father said easily, sipping his water. "It's an Ash tradition." 

I nodded. Ben glanced down at his phone and a small smile quirked at his lips. 

"If that's alright and not too much of a hassle, sure. I'd love to." he replied. I smiled. 

"Great. Anything you're allergic to, won't eat, vegetarian," I trailed off, looking for an answer. Ben smiled. My heart fluttered.

"Nah, I'll eat anything." My dad smiled at me. 

"Who don't you go get dinner ready and Ben and I can finish talking." he suggested. I shrugged. 

"Alright."

I walked out of the room and blushed slightly. Wow. Ben Bruce was attractive. He was hot. When he smiled, my stomach turned to butterflies. But that was normal, right? I mean, he had that rock-star effect on everyone, right?

I realized I was muttering to myself as I got dinner prepared. I was thumbing through recipes and spotted something that looked really good. I smiled to myself and began to pull ingredients from the fridge. Yum.