Prologue

Two days before the Brightest night

"Black Dragon! Look out!" A sentry called, pointing at a large winged dark figure approaching the castle walls.

General Evandol looked upwards at the dragon's silhouette. "All soldiers, prepare for combat!" He shouted, reaching for his bow. "Man your stations!" He wasn't going to lose more soldiers to a dragon --Not to anything-- without a fight!

The hulking dragon, 200 or so feet away roared at the archers who were preparing to draw their aim.

"Ready!" Evandol called, raising a hand to indicate when to shoot. "Aim..."

This is for your kind killing all I loved, including my daughter! He thought angrily, remembering the horrors of dragons burning down their homes twelve years ago. Only he, as well as six others, survived. The seven allied with a clan who was their enemy years ago, the Nagan, who took them in when they realized how useful Evandol's battle formations were against dragons.

"Sir!" A soldier cried worriedly. "Now?"

Evandol snapped out of his daydream to see how close the dragon was.

It was now soaring above the front castle walls. He was in range!

"Fire!" the general shouted, releasing the bowstring, launching his arrow forward.

Archers around him followed, firing their weapons as the beast glided above their heads.

The midnight colored dragon roared in fury as four arrows made their mark. It swooped around and attacked several soldiers, either tearing them apart with its jaws or knocking them to the ground.

"Prepare to fire again..." Evandol started, but his voice trailed off as he saw the dragon swoop back around and continue its path to wherever it was headed.

"What in the name of...what's it doing?" He said. Every other dragon they ever faced would fight them to the death or until it was too injured and would retreat. But this one wasn't hurt badly. What happened?

As the dragon flapped away back into the darkened sky, The general noticed something in its back talons. It was black, slightly round and hard to see in the dim moonlight, but he was sure he knew what it was.

"A dragon egg?"