Chapter 7

Terrin was placed in a cage, this one placed on a giant table. It was in what looked like a dining hall in a large open ledge outdoors that was carved from the cavern walls. Placed at the head of the feasting area was two dragon-sized thrones, although it was clear that one was used for a dragon of higher power than the other; it was studded vibrantly with gems of different hues of reds, oranges and yellows, and it was set higher off the ground than the other. Terrin counted five dragons inside the platteu at the moment, but the whole hall could fit maybe one hundred dragons at a time. All five were busily cleaning off tables and decorating the place. He could hear birds chirping and warbling not too far away.

While he was observing the view, Terrin was seized from behind with two strong hands. He gasped, landing on his back hard.

Get ready to fight! He thought, struggling to get away.

"Another human? You're not a dragon?" The figure said, making Terrin stop. It was another person, thank goodness. They sounded older than him, But it was hard to tell their age by their voice alone.

"I thought I was the only one left!" The person muttered with a relieved exhale. Terrin turned to face an older man, seeming to be in his fifties or so. His hair was greying and ruffled His eyes were dulled from the surroundings like he was used to them. It made the 14-year-old only wonder how long he had been here.

How long will I be here?

As if he could read his mind, the man tried to give a reassuring smile. "It's been only seven years since I was captured." He said, as if he were proud.

"Seven years?" Terrin echoed, unable to comprehend that.

The man nodded, his smile fading into a saddened frown. "Oh. Seven years is long for you, isn't it? My time will be up soon anyways. I've heard the dragons talking about including me as one of the meals of a feast tonight"

"You heard them...talking?" Terrin echoed. "Dragons don't speak. At least, in a way we understand."

This man must be crazier than I thought, He said to himself.

The old man stared at him in confusion, then rested a bit. "Oh, I forgot. I've had the scroll for so long that I forgot humans don't naturally know dragon." He chuckled.

"'The scroll?' What are you talking about?" Terrin demanded. This guy was insane.

"I mean this scroll." He pulled out from his pocket a large, frail piece of paper folded into a square and opened it. Inscribed on it was large symbols Terrin had never seen before.

Terrin looked at the paper, then at the man. "What is it?"

The man shrugged. "The dragons gave this to me when they captured me. When I touched it, I knew every word they said. They told me to do a few tricks and such. I think it was a sort of experiment. To see if they could communicate with us."

"Can they understand you?" Terrin asked."

The man shook his head. "No. It only works the one way." He folded the paper up carefully.

"Could...could I try it?" Terrin asked him, reaching his hand out.

The older man nodded, gently placing it in Terrin's palm. The boy closed his eyes, expecting a burst of energy through him or something like that.

...Nothing happened.

"What's the problem with this?" Terrin complained, looking at the paper closely. "Did I damage it or something?" He shook his head. "Old man, you're crazier than I-"

Suddenly, without any warning, he heard it. Terrin turned to face the outside of the cage. All of the roars and bellows he heard outside of the cage, he heard. It was strange; It was almost like they spoke English, yet they were still roaring, but even that wasn't they way to describe it. All he knew was that he understood them. One dragon was speaking to another one about their day so far, another about some war they were in, and even one asking a friend how their family was doing.

I can't believe I thought dragons were dumb! Terrin thought in awe. This proves they aren't! For all we know, they must think humans are savage too!

"Ah, there we go" The man said from behind Terrin, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Can you hear them now?"

Terrin nodded, his gaze still towards the few dragons he saw in the cavern. "I'm sorry for not believing you, Mr...uh...what's your name?"

The man frowned after a moment, then looked away. "I've never needed to remember it since I was captured. I forgot it long ago." He sighed, then looked up with a determined smile. "But you can just call me "Sir."

"Oh." Terrin commented. "I guess that-"

"Well, well," someone said from outside the cage. "You have been a troublemaker lately, haven't you?

Terrin shot his eyes towards them, hoping it would be Nixibelle, or even his father. But instead, a large dragon was in front of the cage, a claw pointing at him. This dragon seemed familiar...

"It's only been two days, and already you've proven to be a talonful." The dragon snorted. "I'm starting to wonder if I should've left you alone with my frozen brother."

So that's why he felt like he knew them. That was the dragon who brought him here.

"You'll suffer when I escape!" Terrin shouted at him, rage boiling. He stood up and clutched the bars, putting his head up to them. "Your days are numbered, know that!"

The dragon  rose an eyebrow at him a moment as if taken aback, then chuckled. "You scavengers make such cute little noises!" And with that, he turned away and left, laughing a bit as he walked away.

The man behind Terrin shook his head. "dragons can't understand you, remember? Only you can understand them."

"Right." Terrin sighed, humiliated at the realization. "But if he did, I'd give him a piece of my mind!"

"I would've given them quite an earful as well before today." The man agreed, sitting on his haunches. "Now, tell me about where you live."

The rest of the day Terrin explained to him life outside of the mountain. He told him about daily life, down to the day he was captured. Every memory was full of joy, regret, and hundreds of other emotions blended into one. The man seemed to be paying attentive interest, as if all of this was new to him. When he started to speak about his family, Terrin started to hear sobbing. He looked up and saw the man crying, his eyes red with irritation.

"I'm sorry. Did I say something wrong?" He said worriedly.

"No, no. It's just that you speaking about your family suddenly stirred my memory enough to remember my own." He wiped a streak of tears on his arm. "My wife's name was Caire. We only had a daughter. She was about seven when I left. So today she'd be..." The man counted on his fingers. "Twelve...thirteen, about fourteen or fifteen." He looked down as he strained his memory. "I believe her name was something like 'Nixi.'"

Terrin's eyes widened "Nixibelle," he whispered.

"What?" The man said, looking up in disbalief. "You know her?"

"Yeah!" Terrin cried, piecing it together. "I met her yesterday. She was captured about two weeks ago she told me."

"Is she still here?" He said hopefully, clutching his shoulders. "I need to see her one last time!"

Terrin's shoulders drooped. "I'm sorry, but she escaped. If Nixi knew you were here she probably would've-"

"I would've what?" Her voice said from outside of the cage.

Okay, I need ideas BAD!!! Can you guys give me some?