Prologue

Author Notes:

All Rights Reserved. This story is my own work and consists of my original ideas; however I take no credit for the history of the Greek Myths and other mythical creatures.

Cover created in Canva under the One Time Use License Agreement.

This is the first story I ever wrote, so please comment and/or vote! Any and all opinions are MUCH appreciated!! Also, if the prologue doesn't grab your attention, PLEASE let me know why. Any pointers to improve would be amazing! Thank you! Enjoy! :D

Prologue

England

1430

Sounds of drunken men echoed off the dingy tavern walls of The Swan. In the darkest corner, a woman sat and listened, amused by their failed efforts to talk the tavern girls into something more than stiff ale. The cold London air whirled through the door, bringing a new guest with it. It was the man she was waiting for. She could sense it. She could hear his long strides as he made his way to the table.

"You must be Deino," the man said. If the power in his voice wasn't enough to make him an outcast in an establishment filled with farmers, carpenters, and blacksmiths, his harsh accent did. At least, it did to Deino's well-trained ear. Its coarse sound pulled Deino into memories of an ancient past as the man continued, "I was told to find you here. I am-"

"I know who you are," she said. Keeping her dark hood over her face, Deino could sense the man taking a seat across the small table. "And I know why you have come, but I cannot help you."

"Are you sure? What if I said I paid a visit to your sisters before coming here." Reaching inside his brown cloak, he pulled out a small pouch and casually tossed it on the table. "For you. Care to help me now?"

Deino's boney hands searched the table before snatching up the soft leather pouch and ripping the strings away. In a burst of color, everything around them came into view as the round object fell into her palm. A satisfied moan escaped her lips.

"Do you know what it is like to be born into a world you can never see unless you are holding the one eye you are forced to share? Tell me, how did you retrieve this from my sisters?"

"I have my ways. They refused me, and I don't like to be refused. Something I'm sure you understand. Now, we both know I did not come here to chat, and I plan to leave before these peasants begin ranting about their child king."

"Ah, but one day they will write great stories about that boy."

"They do love their stories," he idly replied before his thoughts shifted elsewhere. "I must say, for a Graeae, you and your sisters are not as monstrous as they make you out to be."

"There is a reason I hide my face, but you are right, they do love their stories." A moment of silence passed between them as she held the eye in her hand. Its iris was as gray as her hair. A toothless smile crossed her lips under her heavy cloak. "I haven't held this since I last quarreled with my sisters. For that, I will tell you what I see. I know you spent many years searching. I must warn you though, you may not like what the future holds."

A hard stare met her words. They both knew he would stop at nothing. Without further discussion, Deino fell into a trance. The air around them turned thick with an unearthly aura. Her quiet words echoed in the little space between them as she gave her warning.

"To right the wrongs of pasts untold,

The child is cast into a life unknown.

Born from war but by love she's bound.

Sent forth on the path the Moriai has wound.

Lo! The cursed blood that was shed

Left, in vengeance, a trail of red.

Only War's heir can end the hate

In accepting her one true mate.

Yet behold those with selfish hearts

Whose ploys form in the darkest of arts.

History will threaten to repeat,

but sacrifice given in defeat.

Death to Hades, to clean the slate

As the tiger rises to meet its fate.

Only then will war end and curses die.

One final chance for the beast to rise."

___________________________________________________

From the Myths: The Graeae (or Graiai) were often called the "grey ones" or "grey witches." They were sea spirits who shared a single eye and tooth. Some myths say they would take the form of old gray haired women and others called them beautiful. Not to be confused with the three spinners of fate, the Moirai. 

Side note, just for fun: The "child king" mentioned in the scene is King Henry V, who took the throne before he was even a year old. ...And Deion was right about them writing great stories about him :) Shakespeare wrote a play around 1591.

___________________________________________________

Vote, Comment, Enjoy, Read On!