Chapter 9: Captive

Chapter 9: Captive

"I see you enjoyed your dinner,"' Timor said as he looked at the untouched plate he had brought her the night before.

A tall man followed Timor into the room, a breakfast dish in his hands. Apparently everyone on Ares's payroll was a fierce looking body builder.

"I was afraid it might be poisoned." The meal looked like it came straight from a five star restaurant, but being held hostage ruined her appetite.

"Don't be ridiculous. We have no reason to poison you. And as I promised, I have brought you something to help pass the time. Eros thought you may want to read up on your family history," he said, dropping the book on the bed. It must have weighed a ton.

"Will there be a test?"

Timor ignored her snide remark and introduced the man at his side. "This is Lupe. He will be keeping an eye on you from here on. Perhaps if you behave, he will give you a tour."

As Timor took his leave, Lupe invited himself to sit next to her. The plate of food he waved under her nose caused her stomach to do happy summersaults.

"You really should eat," Lupe told her. His black eyes stared her down until she finally caved. "When you are finished I will take you to get washed up."

"You trust me enough to let me out of here?" Aubrey couldn't hide the hope in her voice.

"No," he said, crushing her high. "That's why you will were this." He slapped a metal device around her wrist. Aubrey stared at the red light that blinked back at her.

"What the hell is this?"

"A tracker. If you choose to vanish, I will know exactly where you go. I will find you and bring you back here. I have the only key, and the device is waterproof, so don't even try to think of ways to get it off. Brilliant minds humans have. You know, some people don't give them enough credit. Their technology is truly amazing."

Aubrey tuned him out as he escorted her back down the long hallway and into a large bathroom, complete with garden tub. The sight was so beautiful it almost brought a tear to her captive eyes.

"Alright, do what you need to do," Lupe said, leaning back against the wall.

"What? Not with you in here. Ever hear of a thing called privacy."

"If you're worried about what I might see, trust me, sweetheart, you aren't my type." Aubrey crossed her arms over her chest and glared at the six-foot tall man. Her blue eyes were hot enough to shoot flames. "Fine. But remember, I will be right outside the door, and I can track you down anywhere."

She let out a sigh of relief. She may be a captive, but she might as well enjoy the small moment of peace. As she slipped into the tub, she let her worries wash away. Lupe better be a patient man, Aubrey thought. She planned on taking her sweet time.

* * *

"I see...I see...bubbles," Morgan said, opening her eyes to break the connection. Her black opal was drenched in blood from the cut on her palm. A long dark hair wrapped around the gem.

"What do you mean?" Damien held out his hand to help Morgan up from the floor. They stood in the middle of his large New York apartment. The modern décor was all in shades of black and gray.

"I mean, she is taking a bubble bath with a gorgeous dark haired man."

Before Morgan could continue her teasing, Damien had her pinned against the wall. His movement was swift but forceful. With his hand around her neck, his words spit venom in her ear. "Do not toy with me, Witch."